THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    A Special Custom Double Rifle to Hunt Rare Dangerous Game in Wisconsin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Special Custom Double Rifle to Hunt Rare Dangerous Game in Wisconsin
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
A Special Custom Double Rifle to Hunt Rare Dangerous Game in Wisconsin

Hello All,

Most of you have probably never seen these rare Dangerous Animals before. Well, they have infiltrated the suburbs here in Wisconsin. It is believed they mutated by drinking the discharge water from one of our Nuclear Power Plants. Subsequent in-breeding has further altered their ravenous behavior to the point that unprovoked attacks on animals and people have become an all to often serious occurrence.

Here are a few pictures of various mutations of the vicious WISCONSIN KILLER RABBIT.

... ...

I have taken it upon myself to help combat these satanic creatures.

As you know, a Double Rifle is designed for that quick second shot in case the dangerous animal charges. Such is the case here. If the first shot fails to stop a charge, the second shot is quick to finish the job. Although I have a battery of double rifles to choose from, ranging in calibers from 7x65R, up-to 700 NE, none of them really fit the bill for the task at hand, namely hunting these Dangerous Animals.

I needed a very special Double Rifle. It had to be in a caliber that was quiet for use in populated suburban areas, and it had to be fast-handling for the quick and nimble game to be hunted. It also had to be light weight to carry - in case a rapid run-away departure was required to retreat from a charging pack of the killers.

So .... I contacted Aaron Little to build me a Special Double Rifle of my design. It would be used exclusively to Hunt-Down and Kill these Mutated WISCONSIN KILLER RABBITS. You may recall that Aaron built my custom 700NE back in 2016. http://forums.accuratereloadin...804/m/9561066812/p/1

As he had done for me in the past, Aaron came through with a wonderful rifle specifically designed for the upcoming hunt of these Vicious Devils. The workmanship is absolutely Flaw-Less.

Here are the specifications:

Make: A.M. Little Bespoke Custom Armsco Box-Lock
Caliber: 25 acp
Action: Engraved Scalloped Boxlock w/ Extractors
Barrels: Monoblock 23-1/2" Lothar Walther
Rear Sight: 2 Leaf Express Rear Sight - 1 Standing, 1 Folding on Raised Quarter Rib
Front Sight: Raised Ramp with Gold Bead and Flip-up Ivory Night Sight
Stock: Checkered Straight Grip AA Fancy Turkish Walnut w/ checkered Butt Plate
Forend: Checkered AA Fancy Turkish Walnut w/ Deeley Release
LOP: 14-5/8"
Weight: 6 pounds 11 ounces - 6 pounds 11.4 ounce loaded
Safety: Non-Automatic

Muzzle Energy: 90 ft/lbs
Recoil Energy: 1/10 ft/lbs

Regulation: 30 yards

Here are some pictures.

Regulation was tested with 3 kinds of Factory Ammo. Future hand-loads are sure to improve performance.

Never before has the World seen a center-fire Double Rifle in such a diminutive caliber as the 25acp. As a side note, this is a true ONE-OF-KIND. Once all the WISCONSIN KILLER RABBITS have been eradicated, I'm sure to have a lot of fun shooting this one along side my 700NE. Its great to have the BIGGEST and the SMALLEST Double Rifle in my collection. I now have a Double Rifle in a really big center-fire caliber, and one in a really small center-fire caliber. So, now I'm ready for anything on the planet.

Comparing the ballistics of these two extreme double rifles shows following:

Weight:
700NE = 18 lbs 10 oz
25acp = 6 lbs 11 oz

Bullet Weight:
700NE = 1000 gr
25acp = 50 gr

Bullet Velocity:
700NE = 2000 ft/sec
25acp = 890 ft/sec

Recoil Energy:
700NE = 150 ft/lb
25acp = 1/10 ft/lb

Muzzle Energy:
700NE = 8,900 ft/lbs
25acp = 90 ft/lbs

By the Way ...... The rifle performed flawlessly ..

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is way up there on the cool meter!!! Congrats to you!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Very nice!
Brings back childhood memories of hunting rabbits with my Winchester Model 61 pump .22.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I see that Aaron Little has worked his magic again! Beautiful.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You've got this all wrong. For going after killer rabbits, you need to use the Holy Hand Grenade Of Antioch.

Holy Hand Grenade Of Antioch

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reminds of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
THE BEAST!! (LOL)
You need a bigger gun!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
I got to see this little gem at Aaron’s shop just last week before bluing. Really cute little rifle and exceptional work!

Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Cool rifle, but isn’t there a .25 ACP Flanged? Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13328 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello degoins,
Hello crshelton,
Hello Rusty,
Hello scojac,
Hello eezridr,
Hello Wildcatter,

Thanks to all for the reply.

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Cool rifle, but isn’t there a .25 ACP Flanged? Cool

Hello Michael Bobinson,
Thanks for the reply.
The 25 acp is semi-rimmed straight wall cartridge. The body is .278 and the rim is .302 diameter. (see dwg)
It extracts great even with the small rim.

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is cute enough that you could hang it from your rear view mirror

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How is the recoil?
I bet it really socks you! Big Grin Roll Eyes Eeker

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
I still self identify as your son and very much look forward to inheriting this and many of your other guns!! I was deeply disturbed that in one of your other posts you mentioned selling some double rifles - without consulting your 'son' - but time will heal these wounds.

For humanely controlling Dark Spirit rabbits and other vermin, the double rifle can't be beat. First barrel with a tungsten solid breaks down their skeletal structure - preferably the front quarter. Second barrel with a soft - but not too soft - destroys their heart/lung region.

If it were me, or when I inherit it, I'll put in a mercury recoil reducer, port the barrels to reduce muzzle rise and wear around a shirt with a big soft pad on my shooting shoulder.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello Zephyr,
Hello Hipshoot,
Hello mt Al,

Thank you all for the reply.

Recoil is almost "negative".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stix,
You are insane, in the best possible sense of the word dancing

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9401 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Howdy Buckstix,
Did you go with the .25 ACP just to have the most diminutive cartridge possible?

I would have gone for .22 Hornet or .25-20.

But beautiful rifle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of 22 hornet and 25-20 double rifles out there - but only ONE 25acp DR - mine

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do like the way you think out of the box Buckstix.Having a slightly warped outlook on life is a wonderful thing. Killa wabbits, and here comes Taz.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 209jones:
I do like the way you think out of the box Buckstix.Having a slightly warped outlook on life is a wonderful thing. Killa wabbits, and here comes Taz.

Hello 209jones,
Thanks for the reply.

I found hand-loading these tiny missiles a bit difficult with my stubby fingers. Results are promising. First shots were a bit wider than later shots. It took me a bit to get used to the lack of violent recoil.

I've got a set of Corbin Swage dies coming to try some "out-of-the-box" heavier bullets. I'm anxious to see how they do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take it deer hunting it is a legal cartridge in Wis.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Take it deer hunting it is a legal cartridge in Wis.

Hello p dog shooter,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, Wisconsin allows any 25 cal centerfire for deer hunting.

Today I tested some Swaged Lead bullets. I think I've found my hunting load.

With a muzzle velocity averaging 1160 fps, it developes 150 ft/lbs muzzle energy with over 110 ft'lbs remaining at 65 yards. (about max distance for a clean head shot given the accuracy)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, Wisconsin allows any 25 cal centerfire for deer hunting.

Actually any center fire 22 cal and larger is legal in rifles.

Any center fire 22 cal and larger used in rifles can be used in handguns.

Now I just have to get a 5.5" 25acp pistol and take it deer hunting. Now that there is at least one rifle chambered for it.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello p dog shooter,
Thanks for the reply.

With this latest hand-load I feel confidant that I can take a deer - albeit at very close range. It has more energy than a 22 lr which was used successfully in the early 1900's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting Buckstix. What a cool rifle. And looks like you found a good load for it. I love rabbit hunting. And with a light caliber double rifle--really cool.

What size frame is it? Was it a .410?

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Love it! tu2

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
Thanks for posting Buckstix. What a cool rifle. And looks like you found a good load for it. I love rabbit hunting. And with a light caliber double rifle--really cool.

What size frame is it? Was it a .410?

Hello skl1,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, this started life as a mono-block 410.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
more progress?

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
VERY COOL!! Cased too... even more COOL!!
Great Shooter... that's a keeper... at the opposite end of the 700NE!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2539 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by domit:
more progress?

Hello domit,
Thanks for the reply.

I've been busy with a few other projects .. will be updating soon.

quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
VERY COOL!! Cased too... even more COOL!!
Great Shooter... that's a keeper... at the opposite end of the 700NE!!

CheerZ,

Hello 470EDDY,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes,, its neat to have 2 EXTREME CENTER-FIRE DOUBLE RIFLES ..... .25 to .700 .... !

quote:
".... I also intend to take a deer with it next Fall here in Wisconsin, albeit at very close range..."
Hello All,

Here's an update. I took the Little 25 cal Big Bore Double Rifle deer hunting last Fall. This Big Boy came out a 59 yards ... Unfortunately, too far for the 25 Double Rifle. (I didn't want to take a chance at wounding him) So, I shot him with my Cross Bow instead. Next year I'll try again. To be sure of a clean ethical kill, I'll be limiting my range to 30 yards or less.

This is the biggest Whitetail that I've killed in over 57 years of hunting. check-out my hunting land here >> http://www.buckstix.com/Hunting%20Land.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely build this...got me thinking...I have some 6 doubles and I insist the cartridges to be rimmed..

Then it struck me...I would have chambered the 7,62 russian Nagant (7.62x38R)..rats, cats, rabbits and foxes...yep..108 grain bullet.

Posts: 3964 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
Lovely build this...got me thinking...I have some 6 doubles and I insist the cartridges to be rimmed.
Hello Pondoro,
Thanks for the reply.

Fortunately the 25acp is semi-rimmed and worked just fie with the extractors.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scojac:
You've got this all wrong. For going after killer rabbits, you need to use the Holy Hand Grenade Of Antioch.

Holy Hand Grenade Of Antioch

Apparently someone forgot the number is “three” over there this weekend.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote