THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    WTB - 3rd Edition of Grahm Wright's book
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTB - 3rd Edition of Grahm Wright's book
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I have the first edition, but am looking for a copy of the 3rd Edition of Graham Wright's Shooting the British Double Rifle book. The internet prices I could find seem to be based on wishful thinking. Anybody have a copy they are willing to sell for something less than a king's ransom?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Roscoe Stephenson
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Posts: 39 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Found a copy, thanks.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomy, PM me your address.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
I have the first edition, but am looking for a copy of the 3rd Edition of Graham Wright's Shooting the British Double Rifle book. The internet prices I could find seem to be based on wishful thinking. Anybody have a copy they are willing to sell for something less than a king's ransom?

Laud-n-Boomer I was in the same fix where the Grame Wrightht's books are concerned. I only had the first issue , but found the second, and third issues as well.
Like you I needed these editions for my collection of double rifles. Mainly because I have a factory cased Westley Richards double rifle chambered for 500-450 #1 express that I needed some information on the loading of this lovely double rifle to avoid any damage on. I bought both second and third editions from Bill Stewart that are in perfect condition. Beautiful books! They are simply packed full of information that is worth owning by anyone who owns a double rifle, especially older ones!
……………………………………………………………… tu2 old Mac

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mac. Any wisdom you can pass on for loading the 500-450 #1 express? I am in the midst of purchasing a William Powell & Son double built in 1881 and chambered for that round. Regarding the 500-450 #1 express, does Graham Wright's 2nd edition have information on it that the first and third do not?

Regards. Dave

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
Thanks Mac. Any wisdom you can pass on for loading the 500-450 #1 express? I am in the midst of purchasing a William Powell & Son double built in 1881 and chambered for that round. Regarding the 500-450 #1 express, does Graham Wright's 2nd edition have information on it that the first and third do not?

Regards. Dave

The black powder load on page 170 of the second issue is:

500-450 no1 express - black powder express'

110grs black, 270 gr jacketed bullet, 10.00 tons pressure, 1900 fps, velocity, 2162 lbs energy1

That is a basic load for this rifle but there
are some nitro for black loads as well.
I will copy some down later and send them to you.

Brass can be made from 475 Nitro Express brass
because the rim thickness is the same on it as the 500-450 No1 express brass.

I haven't had time to compare all the info differences between the second and third editions. There is a lot of info in each, that will take two or three reads to find some of the info that adds from one to the other, but I will get to it sooner or later. The holidays have been in the way and I haven't had the second and third issues for only about a month.

When my son comes over to my home I will get him to scan some pages for you and show me how to send them to you.

My rifle is a fun rifle to hunt North America and I would not be afraid to take on a lot of game in Africa as well!

……………………………………………….. BOOM...….. holycow
………………………………….. old MACD

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Mac.

I guess I better start looking for the second edition, as well!