Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Warm Clothing
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted
Patagonia, featheredfriends, Mountain hardwear all make expedition quality layering clothes.

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Totally unresponsive to the original question but pertinent to subsequent discussion, here is what I use.

Base layer: Comfortrel Lightweight long underwear from Sierra Trading Post.

Midlayer, moderate cold:

Stanfields Superwash Merino long underwear from Empire Canvas or Windsor Wear merino long underwear from Montana Woolens

Midlayer, extreme cold:

Ullfrott� Original 400 g/m2 merino wool long underwear from Empire Canvas

Over the above I practically live in the Columbia Gallatin Range shirtjac, pants and jacket from Sportsman Guide (they seem to be out right now) and Cabela's.

Otherwise I still prefer wool during outdoor activities. Check out Bemidji Woolen Mills.

Shirt: Woolrich Buffalo Plaid and Alaskan or wool shirts from Bemidji Woolen Mills

Pants: Woolrich Malone or Bemidji Woolen Mills

Socks: Wigwam polypropolene liners, $2.99 on ebay; boot sock - Ballston Merino Wool Boot Sock, Wigwam IceSock at The Sock Company, Wigwam IceSock at 4YourFeet, Fox River Outdoorsox at Swain's or Cabelas Wool Boot Sock

Coats: Filson Double Mackinaw; Browning 4 in 1; for extreme cold and wind Arctic Style Anorak from Empire Canvas My anorak is actually Egyptian Cotton from Steger Mukluks, but they don't make them anymore

Neck Gaiter: Smartwool

Hat: Stormy Kromer

Gloves and Mitts: Cabela's Deerskin GoreTex/Thinsulate gloves; chopper mitts - leather shell XXXL, two-layer thick ragg wool mittens or Dachstein wool mittens

Boots: Hunting - Any all leather boot with GoreTex, lace to toe lacing, Goodyear welt and 600-800 gram Thinsulate.

Pac boot - Cabela's Polar Cap -100 below pacs

Extreme cold boots - Steger Arctic Mukluks

JMHO from years of hunting and working in the north

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jackfish, Thanks for the links. What experience have you had with the Bemiji mills stuff?........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I have one 18 oz. heavyweight wool shirt and a 100% wool Voyageurs Jac Shirt. I also have several pieces of Woolrich and Filson and the Bemidji stuff is the real deal.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I guess I also forgot to talk about down. Some versions of the Browning 4 in 1 Parka come with a down liner, these are the best.

For layering I've found the Cabela's Lightweight Down Jacket works very well. Just by itself it is a warm jacket in surprisingly cold temperatures if there is no or little wind.

For winter camping I bought a Cabela's 650 Down Reversible Parka for those periods of inactivity. Very warm.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use wool (camo) from Columbia; it's not as expensive as King of the Mountain or Weatherby's but it is very warm and durable. I have the pants, shirt, and jacket. As 458 said, layering is the secret to staying warm. Early in my hunting career I lived in north central Iowa where the temperatures stayed below zero for weeks at a time and there was nothing to break the ever present wind. I could not stay on a stand for more than two hours without turning into a "popcicle" wearing most synthetic hunting wear. I now wear "Damarts" for the "foundation" (got the tip from the Minnisota "Vikings") and after trying all kinds of synthetic (fleece) coats have settled on a wool jacket with a Gortex (lightweight) coat in my pack for real wet weather or climates. Gortex is a "must" for northern Quebec in the fall where it either rains, sleets, or snows most of the time, as I found out on a Caribou hunt. I find wool wicks away moisture better than most synthetics and still insulates when it gets wet, even though it can get quite heavy when moisture laden. I wear a stocking cap over my Gortex cap to reduce the excaping heat from my "gord", wool gloves, and Rocky "thinsulate" (600) boots in most cold climates with wool socks. There are warmer boots on the market, but most weigh way too much for comfortable hiking (ok for sitting). Being able to take a layer off or putting one on is important and I usually carry a rolled up "down" vest or jacket in my pack. The only bad thing about down is if it gets wet it is next to useless, thus the gortex outerwear is a good thing to keep handy. I now live in Missouri where I don't usually have to wear clothes for the "artic", but I find the wool does well here, as well, when the last deer hunts are in late December. Just a few suggestions, which is certainly no better than the excellent ones I've read here.

Posts: 32 | Location: MO | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been seeing this stuff called under armor cold gear around and was wondering if anyone has used it as a base layer and if it is any good?

Posts: 266 | Location: Montana, up on the Highline | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Forget about over priced UnderArmour. Here is an amazing deal on 160 gram/Sq Meter 100% merino wool underwear. I have these and you can't do much better than this.

Duofold 100% merino wool top
Duofold 100% merino wool bottom

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JackFish,

Have you ever tried "Sleeping Indian Designs "stuff?

Jeff

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Rivers West makes waterproof, soft, flexible and super warm but thin material. Look at the testimonies from guides and serious hunters.
I purchased their product from recommendations from my Alaskan friends. I will try it out in Southeastern Coastal Alaska in the middle of October.
http://www.riverswest.com

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wear a 10X Goretex coverall when I know it will be cold with wind. Until you wear Goretex in the wind and know what it can do you won't know what it will do. I mean that. It is astonoshing with the way it cuts the wind.

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jackfish,

Have you tried any of the more expensive base layers? I was getting ready to order some Underarmour base layer's clothing that are about 5 times as much.

Thanks,

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Regarding Sleeping Indian Designs and UnderArmour. I'm sure spending up to five times as much as the Columbia Gallatin Range Wool and the Comfortrel longjohns will bring an additional benefit. However, is it enough of an additional benefit to justify the additional cost? I think not. Then again, others may.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try whitewaters outdoos apparel. Their fleece bibs / parka combo might be usefull.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted for years just using our regular winter gear along with the regulation color outer wear.Improvements i have made include.Sorel winter boots,warmest they make,same as Canadian
Armed Forces issue.Lycra base layer to wick moisture,wool or fleece middle layer.Heavy insulation upper is down fill parka and extra layer of fleece bottom.Outer shell is usually red goretex pants and CF issue white nylon
smock.Really like this set up for all day hunts in -20c to -30c.This combination works well in our weather and allows me to dress down if i get too warm.I have also used parts of this system in spring,summer,fall outdoor activities.The most valuable part of my gear tried tested and true is my goretex,it is always in my kit.

Posts: 46 | Location: N.E. Sask. Canada | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With Quote