New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snake proof boots recomendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Getting ready to buy a pair of snakeproof boots, does anyone have any recommendations?

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chippewa's...they come in men's and women's sizes!
Made in the USA!!!
I believe these are the ones my wife and I have: http://www.chippewaboots.com/boots/snake_boots/23913

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to go chaps, then Rattler's is the way to go......Natchez carries these + others. $40 and change, varying sizes, zippers, waterproof, can put on over boots..........r in w.

Posts: 557 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington | Registered: 26 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i also use the chaps. much lighter, cooler in hot weather( which is when snakes are a problem anyway,) on and off in seconds, MUCH cheaper. for $35-50 you are protected. snakes strike at your shin/ foreleg. they don't bite you on the foot, except in rare circumstances. i have been bitten once( lower calf) and have had 3 dogs bitten, all in the last 5 years. i now wear chaps/leggings when i get out in the pasture. put on a pair of knee high snake boots and go for a walk in 100 plus degree weather- especially if the terrain is hilly. no contest.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Rattly-type Snakes are almost as common as grasshoppers in the "truck farming" fields and cotton fields west and south of Phoenix.

In fact, it is quite possible to get struck several times when walking across some of the irrigated vegetable fields out between Wickenburg and Aguila. The snakes lie up on the moist ground under the plants to get out of the 110+ degree sunshine.

So, I never rely on boots out there...or at least not just boots. Whatever footwear I have on, I add hard plastic snake guards which run from the bottom of the ankle to the top front of the knee anytime I'm going into one of those fields.

They're flexible hard thick plastic and just "pop" around your legs , and "Pop" off when you want them off....and they're cheap like Borscht.

You know they're worth any money spent on them when you walk down a row in the field and hear several "clanks" as you're struck multiple times before you get to the other end of the row.

P.S., you also think twice about having a "doggy door" here if you're smart. Was a picture in the paper last week of a lady's kitchen sink area here in town. She has a doggy door for her pooch. She got up the other morning to hear the pooch raising a bit of a fuss in the kitchen...so she went in and the dog was barking at something under the sink. She opened the cabinet door to look there, and coiled up under her sink was a nice-sized rattler. Pest control says it was undoubtedly another one of those which came into the house to get cool, through the doggy door. Looked to be kinda fat and maybe 4'-5' long, possibly longer, all nicely coiled up under the drain trap.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 2' section of 6" stove pipe. cheap + effective.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK I have a question...

I hunt on a lease in Texas where we have BIG Diamondback rattlesnakes, large Copperheads, and MEAN Cotton Mouth Water Moccossins...

We kill several Rattlers and Copperheads in Camp every year, not to mention the ones we kill outside of camp.

SO, here is my question, Who here on AR has been struck by a poisonous snake while wearing snake "proof" boots/leggings?

Has anybody been "bit" without such protective gear?

Just curious.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Danner lace up knee high snake boots. Stepped on one rattler but was not bit, have killed several....

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gokeys or Russell

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
OK I have a question...

I hunt on a lease in Texas where we have BIG Diamondback rattlesnakes, large Copperheads, and MEAN Cotton Mouth Water Moccossins...

We kill several Rattlers and Copperheads in Camp every year, not to mention the ones we kill outside of camp.

SO, here is my question, Who here on AR has been struck by a poisonous snake while wearing snake "proof" boots/leggings?

Has anybody been "bit" without such protective gear?

Just curious.

I have not been bit. However, I have a close friend who was struck while wearing snake boots. He was struck by a moccasin. What scared him was that it struck just below the top of his boots and it was not a big snake. He wears chaps now.

My wife is a hand surgeon. She has operated on several people who have been bit. Listening to her describe it, it does not sound pleasant in the least.

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I have been bit without leggings-in fact I was in shorts and sandals. 2 days in ICU, 2 more days in a regular hospital bed, another week in bed at home. The pain and swelling were unreal- not to mention a hospital bill of $72,000 , mainly from 18 vials of anti-venin.this was from a western diamondback.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been hit on the boot. One fang hit the sole of the boot, the other fang hit the area where the boot is sown to the sole. My foot was in the air at the time and one of the fangs must have gone just under my little toe. Venom got inside the boot and on my toe. It burned painfully even without penetrating. I could not get rid of the burning when I put those boots on. Wound up after replacing the insoles to no avail, after messing with them for another six months, I had to throw the boots away. These were just regular roper boots, not snake proof boots.

I wear Chippewa brand snake boots. They have a leather bottom and ballistic nylon top that's trimmed with leather. Slip on, not lace up. They are the most comfortable boots that I own, although a little bit warm.
I have been told by people in the boot making business that there has never been a documented case of a snake biting through a leather boot.
I live in an area that has a lot of big western diamondbacks. I was hit on the boot at our local skeet and trap range, by a little snake only about 18" long, he sure had potent venom though.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where are they guys from OZ ? They have lots of bad ones . I remember a TV show about a pistol match but before the match guys went through the range with shotguns to clear out the snakes !

posted Hide Post
I wear a pair of Rockies, and a pair of Redhead brand snake boots. I have stepped on several copperheads and had several close calls with rattlers and moccasins.

The day I get hit is the last day I wear those boots. Not worth taking a chance having a piece of fang left in the boot.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Those Chippewa bison moc toes look might sweet, and they would go nicely with riding breeches.
I was struck in the boot while fly-fishing a creek on Philmont Ranch as a Boy Scout in 1968. Left a mark in the leather. Glad I had not switched to my Chuck Taylor's!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to the owner of Rio Boots down here in the Rio Grande Valley, home of huge western diamondbacks, there has never been a documented case of a snake biting through a regular pair of quality leather boots.

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Chippewa. My wife is on her second. Very comfortable.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
http://www.snakeguardz.com/snakeguardz.htm

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
http://www.snakeguardz.com/snakeguardz.htm

X2. Saved me in Fl. 2X. 1 big Cottonmouth, 1 Diamond Back.

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never thought much about snakes until you guys scared the shit out of me.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No need to be scared. Anti=venom is only $5,000.00 per vial. Might take 10-20 or more vials to treat a severe bite.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Turtle Skin snake gaiters for upland hunting in California, Arizona, and Baja Mexico. Rattlesnakes can be a real nuisance. I also wear them pig hunting when the snakes are out. I think with their high tech fabric, they are the lightest product out there.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
No need to be scared. Anti=venom is only $5,000.00 per vial. Might take 10-20 or more vials to treat a severe bite.

When I got nailed by a western diamondback 7 years ago, it was only $3000/vial. Of course it took 18 vials, 2 days in ICU, 2 more days in a regular hospital room. Total bill was over $75,000 not to mention 10 more days in bed at home, so 2 weeks off work( I was self employed). Snake leggings are a lot cheaper( don't use snake boots as they are too hot and heavy).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I own what the neighbors have dubbed "Snake Lake", I actually own two pair of snake boots. I have a pair of Lacrosse Alpha Venom that are great, just hard for me to put on and take off since I have small ankles. Then they slip around when I wear them. Recently, I bought a pair of side zip snake boots from Sportsman's Guide. Not expensive and they fit a LOT better and are very comfortable.

In the end, either pair is better than going without in an area where the cottonmouths are 5' long and 3-4" in diameter. If we know the year is going to be a good one for snakes, the neighbor across the road and I do a cottonmouth roundup on his pond and my lakes, which are strip mine type lakes.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Skip the boots and get a good insurance policy..

I was raised on a Texas Ranch in the Big Bend and later leased several ranches in that area, wore cowboy boots like everyone else, got a snake bite in grade school reaching under the school house for a base ball, one fang went thru the webb of my small hand and spewed poison on the ground, quick thinking by an adult holding the head and pushing the fang further out resulted in a mild case of fear! dancing

Having lived amonst them I don't recall anyone wearing snake proof boots and very few snake bite cases if any on working cowboys and ranchers in the area..

I think South Texas has more need for snake proof boots as they have rattlers the size of Alligators faint

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was wearing tenny shoes checking on my old cows when this fella ran out in front of me

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I haveTturtleSkin gaitors. Come up to your knees. tu2 I also have the TurtleSkin chaps. tu2

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I knew a guy who used a piece of 6" stovepipe clamped on his legs from ankle to knee. Funny story here. My ex wanted a pair of those rattlesnake earrings. You know the ones that were popular about 30 years ago, silver with the rattles attached. They were impressive + good looking. She made the mistake of wearing them one time when she mounted her quarter mare. Wink

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
She made the mistake of wearing them one time when she mounted her quarter mare.

Eeker Eeker rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, it is funny now as she is an ex but really it was funny then as well. That mare went bananas + they parted company somewhere in the air + by God it was hard to keep from laughing.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been hunting in brush country of S Texas and Mexico the past 3-4 yrs. I have yet to see a rattle snake. We have a bumper crop of road runners though. I think they take out most of the snakes when they are small. You do not go down the road much over a couple hundred yards with out seeing a road runner.
Saw quite a few western diamondbacks up around Childress in the Texas Panhandle. Never one over 3'long though.
Had one about 2' long on the front porch of a camp house on a place we were hunting. We surrounded him and poked at him a while and you would think he would tire out but he just kept striking. Finally dispatched him with a 8 ft. 2X6.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The roadrunners do take care of issues in nature's game. I have several here on the property + have enjoyed watching their lifestyle antics. The male + female take turns to tend the nest. They have a tendency to put their tree nests REALLY close to human habitation. Smart move. Predators stay away. I have watched them = noticed that when they move they always take the same branch in the tree to get either to the nest or to the top of the ridge of my shop where they have a view of tonight's potential supper. I need to add that when seen at a distance they appear gray + dull. Not at all, seen up close, their plumage is quite colorful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, we have roadrunners here in Vegas as well. I was walking the neighborhood of our gated community last week and had one walking ahead of me on the sidewalk. I've also had them in our backyard and on the fences quite often.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are a funny bird! In hot weather they are lean and trim looking. On a cold morning they will fluff up their feathers where they look as big as a chicken.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote