Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MTM Shoulder-Gard ??
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone use one of these? They may be too new on the market for anyone to have used one. Wonder how it compares to the Lead Sled.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain

Posts: 12 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 15 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dm45winmag
posted Hide Post
I don't have the Shoulder Guard, but I do have their Predator Shooting Rest.

The rubber cushions are not very solid (hollow). while it holds the rifle, you can bend the cushions fairly easily with stock pressure making it difficult to hold a steady aim.

My rest jumps a little with the rifle when it fires, so you would need considerable weight in the compartment to compensate for that since the rest is made of plastic and rubber.

If you could fill in the hollow rubber cushions with some kind of filler, I think it would work better and be a more stable platform.

T/C Contender Shooter

Posts: 38 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting off the bench and recoil is a problem, get an old (or new) computer mouse pad and cut it in half. Laminate the two pieces with contact cement and put between your shoulder and the rifle butt. Tames 'em all for not very much of an investment.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For more recoil pad when shooting off a bench
I use a leg weight,the kind that velcros to your ankle,it works great,better than a shooting bag.

Posts: 64 | Location: Florida | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
I have one, it's ok. Not great but ok. I am sure the lead sled is better. For my smaller rifles it works great. My 300 wsm on the other hand stretches the nylon strap used to hold the butt. I still get bit by the recoil on occasion because of this. While hunting I can handle the recoil no problem, but while target shooting or sighting in the recoil starts to get to me after a box of ammo. I also find myself constantly adjusting the thing after each shot. I think I should have just shelled out the money for a lead sled.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote