Find
Notify
Tools

Walker's Game Ears
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
I've been hunting Africa for 30 years now and before that hunting/shooting in the UK for some years before that and as a consequence my hearing has suffered dramatically.

An audio test a couple of years ago told me I'd lost over 60% of hearing in one ear and over 40% in the other.

I'd looked at a variety of hearing aids/protection several times over the years but couldn't really find anything that fulfilled all my needs at a sensible price. I wanted hearing aids that also gave me hearing protection when I was hunting.

I recently looked at the American game ears here:

http://www.walkersgameear.com/...cement_hdSeries.html

and then contacted my local suppliers here in Africa to see if I could get a similar product here. The local Siemen's rep offered me their own version with the same technical spec for US$3000. That isn't a typo. The price quoted was three thousand USD.

My Walker's game ears arrived a week or two ago and I've now had time to try them out. Quite frankly, they're fan-fuckin'-tastic. A true revelation in hearing. I can now hear jackals calling and birds singing again..... and I haven't been able to hear those things for at least two decades!

I'd recommend these to any shooter and they should buy them before their hearing gets as bad as mine!

one of us
posted Hide Post
You just have to remember to put them on!

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You're not kidding...... Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
Steve, I'm curious as to what model you purchased and why you selected that one?

Like you I have lost too much of my hearing (espicially in crowds) and looking to save what little I have left.

Randy

Posts: 383 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
Just found this thread. I've been using a Walkers Game ear for years, as a hearing aid. I have the Walkers Game Ear II, which has the tunable frequency control. They are great! I paid $175 for one at Cabela's, and bought a moldable ear plug kit in tan. The moldable ear plug is way better than the foam ended tube that Walker's puts on the Game Ear. Just scrape off the foam on the tube, mix the ear plug putty, wrap it around the tube, and stuff it in yer ear. In 15 minutes, it's a custom fit! And the Walker's shuts off at a gunshot, so I just use one regular plug in the other ear for shooting. One #13 hearing aid battery lasts for a week, with 8-10 hrs use a day.

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also like their Game Ear.
I don't like the molded ear item.
I purchased the mold kit from Walker, followed the directions to make a mold of my ear canal and sent it them them as directed. What I got back was a molded piece that was half the size of a golf ball that must have weighed 2 ounces. I have seen molded in-the-ear pieces and none were as big and heavy as what they sent me. (Kit cost was about $60). I called and they said that's the way they do it. I had to carve it down with a scalpel, and as a result it isn't quite perfect.
Buy the amplifier.
I would not recommend buying their kit for in-the-the-ear molded piece.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
No, the moldable silicone ear plug kit was not Walkers. Forgot the brand, but it's in the Cabelas catalog. Comes in 3-4 colors. The tan color looks pretty close to my skin color. Has 2 components, mix/knead together about 1/3 of each container, wrap around the Walkers tube, and stuff it in, so the end of the tube is about 1/4" into the ear, with the Game ear over the earlobe, and smooth the outside quickly. Sets in about 10 minutes. Radians brand sounds familiar, and it's only like $20, has enough for both ears.

Hippie redneck geezer

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I went that route... all they did was make everything louder.

You need to see an audiologist and get a hearing test. For me the i'm 60% deaf in the mid-range sounds in my right hear, and 40% deaf for the high range sounds in my left..

I got a pair of prescription, aids, set for the frequencies where I'm deficient for both ears, and man is it a noisy world! You hearing goes so slowly over the years, you really don't know what your missing, till you get some of it back.

Its a ridiculously high expense, but well worth it in my opinion. the brand i got was Oticon.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of Wakers about 15 years ago. Waste of money.

Now I use real, audiologist fitted hearing aids. Amazing difference.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i use the headphone type for bowhunting, it really improves the experience and helps improve my ability to prepare when animals approach. Had a bobcat chase a rabbit around the tree i was in, it was intense.

THOMAS MINNER

Posts: 34 | Location: austin tx | Registered: 03 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
they just increase sound, and batteries go dead at the worst moment, and backgound noises are disturbing to me.

Ive lost 70% in each ear, so I had to go with a $4000 pair of hearing aids, and they are the first Ive found to stop the irratating back ground noise..

For hunting I have some soft sponge plugs on a string around my neck that I can stick in before I shoot..These are cheap and they work for me..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote