Find
Notify
Tools

Danner Boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of joedjr
posted
Time for a new pair of all around hunting boots for Whitetail to Grizzly in Alaska. I was thinking of either the Danner Trophy or Danner Canadian. Does anyone have these or any other type of Danner boots.

Posts: 310 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
I have had a pair of Sierras for 30 years and ain't wore em out yet.

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have wore Danner Canadians for the past 15 years in Montana through all types of weather and all types of hunting condition. Some will have a different opinion about there brands but I am a believer in Danner and will highly recommend them.
Scott

Posts: 978 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
I have used Danner Fort Lewis and the Arcadia for 10 years at work and hunting. I like them al lot.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Danner Pronhorns . Best Boots I have ever owned.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
joedjr;

Danner Santiams beat the cold in Montana and Idaho elk hunting for the past several years. Airbob soles and padded tops. Go to Danner's web page, hunting, then big game hunting for a picture and description. Find an dealer near you get a size figured out and then call Danner in Portland, Oregon and buy what you need out of their seconds store. Retail is about $300 and I bought mine for $160 plus shipping as they had a scuff on the toe. Scuff turned out to be a 1/2" blemish of some kind that after one trip to the woods never to be seen again as compared to what rocks can do.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I live where they used to be made and they are not the boot they used to be. A lot are made in China now and in my humble opinion not worth the money. I have 2 pair that simply wear my feet out and wont buy another pair. Try some Russels they are a really great boot.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
IMO Danner's are hit and miss. I still wear a pair but only because they are a replacement for others that have failed. I blew out a pair of the pronghorn's on an elk hunt a few years ago. They were a great boot and felt great on the hunt...until day 2 when the sole blew out and I was stuck in the back country with no boots. I had to pack out several miles with my sole taped onto the upper. All boots will fail but this one pissed me off. Danner would not stand behind the warranty because the boots were over a year old...dispite the fact that they had never been used much prior to the hunt. Thankfully I bought them at Cabelas and they made it right with me. Let me return them for a full refund. I have had others last several seasons before giving up the go but I simply don't trust them much any more. I have had great luck with the Mendle boots but they are a little heavy for back-pack hunting IMO...but at least they hold up...never lost a pair and I use them a lot. Bottom line is get them at cabelas so when they fail you can return them.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
The couple of guys in my company that actually care about their boots wear Danners for work. Those that hunt in turn also wear Danners for hunting. One friend of mine wore a pair of Danners for so long he couldn't remember what they were called (close to the Grouse but not the Grouse) or when he bought them. Sent them in to Danner to have them rebuilt and they flat out told him they could not be help. They sent him a coupon for half off a new pair. He went with some Raptors and loves them. Me and another friend / co-worker of mine use Frontiers and love them as well. I hope to be able to get some made in the USA Danners soon, but for right now the Frontiers are the most comfortable boot I own.
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE: I have had great luck with the Mendle boots but they are a little heavy for back-pack hunting IMO...but at least they hold up...never lost a pair and I use them a lot. Bottom line is get them at cabelas so when they fail you can return them.
If you pay the same money between the Meindls and the Danners you will have an American made boot of the same quality. They will last you for years if not decades.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have the older pronghorns made 4 years ago 800 grms. and I have the newer 1000 grm pronghorns I like them soo good I will be buying the uninsalated ones this year.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Just stumbled over this thread, I go out of my way to find U.S.A. made Danners of any model/series, as long as they are off of a last/size that suits me, I will defend Danner's to the end against anything made in U.K. or anywhere else!, I'll only wear boots that can withstand a week in the Scots highlands going for Reds without maintenance on them , other than gentle drying during the week!, I've been in the burns for long periods wading, & had zero ingress of water, excepting that which has come in through my waistband/knee areas! beer

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have worn Danner boots, mostly the Ft. Lewis for over 15 years, daily at work.

I have 2 pair of Canadiens for hunting boots.

I have never had a Danner boot leak or come appart.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got two pairs, they might as well be from different makers though.
My USA made Acadias are just about due to be sent back for resoling after 5-6 years of law enforcement work.
My chinese made danners are POS, I'll never buy an imported boot from danner again!
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand Danners are still made here though at a higher than the foreign import version price. I guess it depends on your devotion to the U.S. brand and the worth of bearing the cost.

I ordered some discounted kangaroo leather boots made in the Georgia boot hunting style. These are unlined and should suit bad weather street needs when I need something better looking. My issue with boots is being able to fit orthotics for my boogied up flat feet.

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
I've had a pair of Danner Frontier Extreme's for five years now. Overall their a very good boot and i wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rutten:
I have wore Danner Canadians for the past 15 years in Montana through all types of weather and all types of hunting condition. Some will have a different opinion about there brands but I am a believer in Danner and will highly recommend them.
Scott

X-2 thumb Wink

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I have a very hard time finding shoes that fit properly (9 1/2 4EEEE).Often times I can go into a shoe store,and not be able to wear ANY shoes or boots in the store.
I went hunting one weekend,and forgot my boots. Roll Eyes

I went to the local sporting goods store,and was steered towards the danner pronghorns.Best fitting boots Ive ever had.Had them for 3-4 years now.When they go,I will look first for a new pair.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love my danners very comfy

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a pair of Hanwags and never look back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to sell Danner boots. The older boots and the U.S. made danners are night and day difference from the Chinese Danner junk. I have two chinese pair. The soles broke in half, the seams came apart within 6 months and they absolutely cripple my feet halfway through the day. You might as well by a Walmart special compared to the imported Danners.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrosVentreGeorge:
The couple of guys in my company that actually care about their boots wear Danners for work. Those that hunt in turn also wear Danners for hunting. One friend of mine wore a pair of Danners for so long he couldn't remember what they were called (close to the Grouse but not the Grouse) or when he bought them. Sent them in to Danner to have them rebuilt and they flat out told him they could not be help. They sent him a coupon for half off a new pair. He went with some Raptors and loves them. Me and another friend / co-worker of mine use Frontiers and love them as well. I hope to be able to get some made in the USA Danners soon, but for right now the Frontiers are the most comfortable boot I own.
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE: I have had great luck with the Mendle boots but they are a little heavy for back-pack hunting IMO...but at least they hold up...never lost a pair and I use them a lot. Bottom line is get them at cabelas so when they fail you can return them.
If you pay the same money between the Meindls and the Danners you will have an American made boot of the same quality. They will last you for years if not decades.

I stand by my comments above. Danners fit my feet very well. The pronghorns are one of the most cumfortable boots I have ever hunted in. Having said this, they failed on a backpack elk hunt in Washington. After packing in several miles I looked down to find my toes sticking outside of the boot on the right side. Pissed me off. The boots were less than two years old and had been used on two "non pack" hunts prior to this trip.
Had another pair of a different type split where the laces attach to the side of the boot. Again on a Backpack hunt.
Last fall in the brooks range I had the third pair stretch out to the point I could not lace them snug on my feet. Then the waterproof liner gave out. Spent 10 days in bad weather with cold feet. Never again.
I have a pair of Mendels that I have used on 3 sheep hunts in the brooks. They look like hell but are still holding together and do not leak. I have a new pair for this falls hunt thanks to Cabelas replacing my third set of Danners with an upgrade to Danner boots.

BTW I spoke to the folks at Danner before I sent the last pair back to Cabelas and asked them if anyting could be done to prevent these issues. I was told that my feet may be of a size and shape that causes the issue (I wear 13's). I told them about my success with Mendel boots and they said I should stay with what works for me. They would not replace or repair my last set of boots though and were not even interested in looking at them to try and understand what was causing the issues.
Talking with a friend who works in the retail sporting goods industry for a large company, he indicated that he has seen a lot of issues with danners over the last few years. Filmit's response above indicates that he has had similar issues as me.

I am happy to support any USA brand provided the products they provide are of good quality and work as designed. My experience with the Danners indicates I need to shop other brands.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Danners for 15 years and got good results. I would buy again based on that, but not if they left USA and this thread has displayed examples of pee-poor customer relations so I guess I'll have to re-think it. My daughters in the Army and her issued boots (the winter verion) sure look to be Danners.

Posts: 42 | Location: Western Pa. | Registered: 23 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about Danners, but Rockport shoes no longer USA made and are junk. No, not even junk --junk can be sold for it's weight. I do have a lot of experience with Whites boots. In the NW U.S. where there are a lot of forrest fires, the fire fighters pretty much all wear Whites smokejumpers. Whites makes their boot to fit your foot. They tell you where and how to measure, plus a tracing and then make them for YOU. I have several years on my Whites Hiker and My Whites low quarter shoe and can say most comfortable footwear I have ever had and they hold up. They are very uncomfortable first couple days while breaking in. Get Thorlo socks to go with them and you have it made.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canadians and Pronghorns, both full leather. I've worked them hard, and all they've needed is polish.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Don't know about Danners, but Rockport shoes no longer USA made and are junk. No, not even junk --junk can be sold for it's weight. I do have a lot of experience with Whites boots. In the NW U.S. where there are a lot of forrest fires, the fire fighters pretty much all wear Whites smokejumpers. Whites makes their boot to fit your foot. They tell you where and how to measure, plus a tracing and then make them for YOU. I have several years on my Whites Hiker and My Whites low quarter shoe and can say most comfortable footwear I have ever had and they hold up. They are very uncomfortable first couple days while breaking in. Get Thorlo socks to go with them and you have it made.

I used to buy Danners. About 15 years ago I switched to White's.

If you are lucky enough to have a small custom bootmaker in your town or a nearby city, I would recommend "googling" their name to read customer feedback about their products.

Because of the marketing bucks spent by the bigger companies a lot of small local makers are going out of business (or retiring) these days.

But, insofar as generalizations can be worth anything at all, my experience has been that you get your very best boots when you have someone local make them to your last, a last made specifically for you by them. They will keep your last as their guide for making boots perfectly fitted to your feet.

If you have problems, he/she can fix them and, because they will see you around town frequently, will likely be pleased to do so.

Plus then for sure you know where your hard-earned dollars are going, and THEY know precisely who they must keep happy to keep the dollars rolling in.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never owned or worn a pair of Whites.

But when I hunted in NW Montana I saw a lot of them in stores.

They looked to be very well made.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a pair of Danner Combat Hikers.Made in the USA. Cabelas lists them for about $280. I paid $100 NIB from EBAY postage paid.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I have never owned or worn a pair of Whites.

But when I hunted in NW Montana I saw a lot of them in stores.

They looked to be very well made.

Whites are the most popular boots used by people who make their living in the woods around the NW they custom fit them and after a few days of break in they fit better than any boots that I have ever owned. The company stands behind their product with a no bs guarantee. They make many types check them out. A great boot and will last a lifetime

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cheshire
posted Hide Post
I wear Danners, my sons wear Danners when deployed..Lots of their fellow Marines want to look cool in the Oakleys...but they won't last a full deployment. Oldest son has done 3 deployments to AFG.and a trip through MARSOC indoc he is just now on his second pair. He is a 0321 so he is humping a 90 lb pack all day. The younger on is a 0844 attached to a grunt unit. still on his first pair....Danners cost more ....or do they?

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, hearing the old ones wail, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters, while riding his gelding.”
Genghis Khan

Posts: 174 | Location: Saratoga, Wyoming | Registered: 28 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
Originally posted by rutten:
Scott

X-2 thumb Wink

X-3

Been wearing "US Made" Danners for longer than I can remember.
No complaints.
Their ChinaLand stuff is crap just like everything else made in ChinaLand.
Anyone that hasn't figured that out by now and still buys that crap deserves what they get.

Field sports are not about targets and scores. Score-keeping is necessary in competitions between humans, unattractive in competitions with weaker adversaries. Constant scores of many to zero do not smell of struggle and chance. They smell of greed.

Posts: 91 | Location: Idaho, Clearwater County | Registered: 07 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Please advice what Danners will work for warm climates like Africa...

Love my Courtney's but they are not water proof, I also m looking for something for daily use here in the Saudi desert.

Thanks,

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Danner Pronghorns went to RSA with me in 2007, 2009, and 2010. The most comfortable boot I have ever worn, and as far as I am concerned, the perfect hunting boot.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
My Danner Pronghorns went to RSA with me in 2007, 2009, and 2010. The most comfortable boot I have ever worn, and as far as I am concerned, the perfect hunting boot.

Thank you for the info.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote