New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whites Boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Whites Boots out of Spokane are known for their Whites Smokejumpers. They have a patented process called "Arch Ease" which I don't fully understand, but it holds your foot in it's natural position. Their shoes and hiker boots do not include this feature. I've had their hikers and shoes for several years and they are the most comfortable footwear I have found. I ordered a pair of their semidress boots (high top shoe) which do have the Arch Ease feature. I mentioned them being comfortable--but that is after break in. Prior to break in they are most uncomfortable. Just getting my new ones last night--they are not broken in, but I can already tell they are going to be winners. Oh they are painful one time on the wallet. These new ones need a pull loop on the back which they don't have.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Carpetman, I'll go to their Web site for a photo. This outfit is truly legendary. I've wanted a pair of White's Packers for years; you only buy them once.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill the ones I mentioned here are listed as Americana. They are water buffalo and I had the capped toe added. Still not broken in but getting better all time. Still a little hard to put on as they are new and the pull loop would help. Yes you only buy them once unless you work a really tough on footwear job. I know a welder that went through them in a few years---but he was going through several pairs of Red Wings--a year if you can believe that. My other two pairs are several years old and show little wear--and if I do wear them out they can completely rebuild them. I first heard of them when I was stationed in Alaska and lots of sheephunters swore by them.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Carpetman, the Whites have a golden reputation here among our forest firefighter and Hot=Shot crews. We used to have a large Forest Service smokejumper training base near here that closed in the 70s or 80s, but you can imagine the local rep these boots earned.
That said, I have about 10 years in wearing an inexpensive pair of Double H bullhide packers that have been among my most comfortable footwear. Still love a pair of Whites though.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you buy a Whites boot that doesn't have Arch Ease, you are missing out on the magic of the marque. I can't see how they could work for people without a pronounced arch and instep though. Fit is very important because they don't stretch or conform much. Mine like thin socks, and if I wanted to wear thicker I'd need a wider pair.

To me, the boots in their line that stand out for casual or work are the Farmer Rancher and Smoke Jumper with regular and not lace to toe. The only difference between these boots is the Smoke Jumper has a Vibram lug sole. These boots have a heel counter that overlaps the vamp.

I like the Horween, bull hide and French Calf leathers, although the standard leather is nice. If you are getting one pair of their boots, I suggest a Farmer Rancher in the above leathers, with a single or double leather sole. Vibram composite if you don't want to worry about soles for 5 years or so, or you live where its wet often.

I think my boots are 5" height which is special order, and I suggest a low boot for casual wear. Mine are a couple of years old and I baby them. I doubt I'll ever wear them out.

Part of interest that lead us here is we are all a bit of gear heads. White's boots are just plain badass. The "All Leather Legend" with hand sewn welts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that is a saddle maker. I had some scrap ostrich and he used it to make the pull on loops. Don't know if Whites would have done it when I ordered them, but it is a useful feature. Now that they are broken in, I really like them. I did order them in black water buffalo and they do look like military brogans. Considering buying a pair of them in cognac color.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whites boot were intended to be oiled, but I shine mine. They take a heck of a spit shine. I keep em looking that way. For socks I wear strictly Thorlo's. If you have not tried Thorlo's, buy a pair, pricey but they last me for years amd are very comfortable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite socks are Smartwool.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own two pair: ranch packer, and Hathorn electrical hazard boots. I work in a steel mill and need the metatarsal guard. I have 17 years on the packers and 4 sets of new soles. Damn good boots.

I moved to Lorpen merino wool socks because I found them on sale and bought a lifetime worth. In medium weight, they have been a good investment. No complaints with the smartwool or thorlo socks that I have known over the years.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Farbedo--That's a good testimony. Prior to Whites, did you wear other brands at work? If so, what brands and what longevity did you get out of them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought I had some smart wool socks but an IQ test came out negative on them.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Do they go off of a foot tracing?

I have poor luck with getting a good fit ordering by size.

If their "water buffalo" leather is like a pair of Lama's I had years ago, your feet have to conform it does NOT give or stretch in the least no matter or how long.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC Yes they work off a tracing as well as measurements you give. My water buffalo doesn't seem that rigid. But the fit is good so stretch not needed. To get a tracing pattern and measuring instructions you need their catalog. Going to their site and ordering a catalog online has never resulted in my receiving a catalog. Only way I have gotten one is by calling 1-800 541 3786.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC Come to think about, the water buffalo must have some give. Whites will tell you it takes about 100 hours to break a pair in. They are correct. A few hours at a time--most uncomfortable footwear I ever had---then the most comfortable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
carpetman,

I have worn Georgia and Hytest at work. Decent boots, but I could only get about 2 years out of them and they were shot. They are more or less designed to be disposable.

I got the Hathorns and have 4 years on them. They will need to go back for soles and new metatarsal guards about mid summer.

Comfort wise, there is no contest. With the low heel designs my back would hurt if I was on the concrete all day. I haven't had that happen with the riding heel on the Hathorn boots. YMMV, but I wear the packers all of the time. Drives my wife nuts since they aren't the most stylish boot going.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll add that the Smokejumpers take longer to break in than the packers. They are a super stiff boot.

Jeremy

One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
I've had smokejumpers since my firefighting days. They are stiff but I have never found a better more comfortable boot. There is a reason why all the outdoor trade wears them. Last boot you will ever buy.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 363 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
I don't wear mine a lot, but they are super heavy duty, as well as being comfortable. Photo shows great workmanship. This is the Smokejumper model in the brown leather.

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whites aren't what they used to be. My first pair of Whites has taken a beating, 2 rebuilds and they are doing ok. I bought a second pair a few years back and was disgusted at the shoddy workmanship. I just had them rebuilt, cost me almost $300. I wore them for TWO days at the job site and the eyelets started popping out where they had put on a patch. Next time I get to their store I'll be asking for my money back. FYI both pair were lace-to-toe smokejumpers and while they were stiff for a day or two they never took more than that to break in.

Nicks is now my go-to boot. The quality I get from my first pair of Nicks (less than year old) is what Whites used to be. A little more expensive but well worth it IMO.

Posts: 88 | Location: PNW | Registered: 07 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope that is just a temporary thing. I'd hate to have to find a new boot. No one else makes a metatarsal in a logging style that I know of.

I guess I'll find out when these wear out.

Jeremy

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I have a couple pair of Whites. Well made and can be worn all day. WAY to heavy for a Hunting boot though. I have also used Nicks boots. He used to work at Whites and started Nicks Boot Co.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I'd like a pair of the smoke jumpers, I think they would be great boots.

Will they do a cordoban/latigo leather color?

I met a guy in Afghanistan that had been a Alaskan bush pilot and had worked in Afghanistan for quite a few seasons. He wore Whites packers all the time. I had never thought about ordering a pair until recently.

My dad always wore packers, quite a large number of brands some he liked some he didn't. I could never get used to them, but all of his were cowboy packers.

I have a size d width foot, but semi-collapsed arches.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spoke to them this morning, if you have flat feet forget about it.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a couple of pair of Whites cowboy packer boots, as I do a lot of horseback hunting and packing. I usually have the heel lowered, A couple of pair or Whites btw will last the average human a lifetime or two in that you can send them back and have them redone about every 20 years and they look new when you get them back...

I had a friend that found a pair in the Twin Falls dump and they were truly trash..He sent them back and when he got them from White, they looked almost new, it was amazing...

They are required equipment by the USFS fire fighters and smoke jumpers or at least used to be..

Best boot ever made.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are certain models that are "USFS" certified safety boots, Danner has a couple and so does Haix and Red Wing.

Pretty long list of things that are required in the boots, and the fire fighters are required to pay for their boots, and get a 50% replacement of cost.

I am a Safety and Occupational Health Manager. The USFS's boot program is copied pretty regularly by a lot of agencies and corporations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red Wings may meet the code, but from experience with several pairs of Red Wings and several pairs of Whites, you don't mention those two in the same paragraph. They are not nearly on the same page.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally got to try a pair on Friday last week. I have a regular to wide foot, with a fairly low arch and wear a 13. I wanted to die within a few minutes of walking around the store.

He got a 13 wide and they felt like Atkinson had roped my foot and was dragging me behind his horse.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Wonderful----Whites puts it in their literature that they will be uncomfortable the first 100 hours or so. They weren't lying. If I based them on new boots walking around in a store, I'm sure I'd never have bought a pair. After break in, all nuther story.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called Whites the day I got home and got the same story. I also got told that because of my shallow arches I would never be happy with them.

I don't think they are for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spend a lot of time outdoors and ride over 10,000 a year on a Harley, Whites Smokejumpers are on my feet a LOT. Can't live without them, they are a part of my safety gear.

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote