New
Find
Notify
Tools

NECO runout gage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Very well made and easy to use. Don't buy one if you are at all obsessive/compulsive about your reloading as you will never be happy with your ammo once you start using it! I think I have spent 300-400$ of dies since I bought this tool and I am still not happy with my reloads.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A brilliant product that will supply hours of obsessive fun and incidentally help you to hit the target by weeding out all of those rounds which are just not very straight and should be relegated to bore foulers or dissasembled and the components saved and the cases junked. It is also very reasonably priced for the level of precision involved. Makes a great mantlepiece decoration as well; sort of post modernistic art.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All part of graduate school lads. That you bought one is a hopeful sign. [Big Grin] The next phase is learning what to do with the info it passes on. Look at the concentricity tools as the shrewish bat that is grading all your test scores. Never lies and never cuts you any slack.

My first batch of cases after I bought mine precipitated a full scale investigation into the RCBS dies I'd used for years. They're gone now.
My second round involved another cartridge, a wildcat. The C. Gauge I have said "hooey" and the die manufacturer agreed. replaced the size dies. Then loaded to a range of .000-.007 runnout. Changed my load process slightly and it improved. Repeat the process. Last batch went .000-.003" run out, except for 3 cases. 250 rounds. And as you've noticed I'm sure, groups get a lot better without the run out.

Two tips: You're going to select whatever tolerance you want...don't junk the rest. Neck turning can help a lot. Also, I've found that indexing the 'crooked' rounds and loading them in the same relative orientation can generate some amazingly small groups. Taking the entire array of .0-.007 as an example, unindexed, will generate 2.5" groups in a TC Contender. Zero run out will shoot in the .5" range. .007" RO will, when indexed shoots .75" but not at the same POI as the Zero's. I can in fact call impact shift by orienting the rounds differently in the chamber, this with roughly .005" RO or more.

Has your new toy got you thinking about arbor dies yet? [Big Grin] Or just Comp. Seaters and bushing dies?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was wondering if anyone had an issue with the small size of the indicator on the NECO? I've only seen them in photos so I was very curious regarding the resolution of the small indicator as compared to the one on the RCBS and others.

I work in the electronics field and I always opt for a larger analog meter vs a smaller one given a choice. I've also got a 4" meter on a darkroom color analyzer that is amazingly accurate and easy to read.

It would seem that if there is the same amount of needle deflection in terms of degrees per thousandths then the larger indicator would be inherently easier to differentiate a reading of say .005" and .006"

Thanks for reading this post and any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

XWind

Posts: 203 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I had long considered buying one of the NECO models -- but jumped on the Sinclair model as soon as it came out... which is why I just sold Roger Rothschild my RCBS Case Master. Going from the Case Master to the Sinclair is like going from a 1963 AMC Rambler to a 2003 Porsche Boxster S.

-

Russ

[ 01-16-2003, 07:22: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
Russell,
I have both the Sinclair and the NECO. I am going to sell the NECO. The new Sinclair is great, isn't it? The Sinclair is easier to use and much cheaper. The NECO can do a lot more measuring, but it almost seems like too much info.

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is. Very, VERY nice.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote