Tools

electronic ear muffs for hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bought a pair of Peltor Sound Traps
http://www.peltor.se/index_safety.htm

Overall I am happy with them.
They shut of when the shot is fired and give a strange experience where you here a small clap then the shot echoing off the surroundings. The actual blast has been blocked out. Even tested with a 458 with muzzel break. As far as hearing protection they seem to work fine.

The external sounds can be amplified like a hearing aid. I had several issues with having them set to high and hearing noises that I couldn't place. Once the muffs were removed it became obvious the faint noise in the distance was responsible for the loud waily. Have since found that by talking you can adjust both ears so that your voice sounds natural and you are good to go. I can stalk and pick up all the sounds. The stereo works satifactorily. I had several foxes break from my blind spots in thick cover and heard them move to within a 5 metre radius of where they were.

comfort
These are comfortable but found the stainless steel band needed stretching as they were too tight on my head. It still needs stretching but have worn them constantly for over 4 hrs hunting.

My only concern is what will happen if the microphone gets wet and how sweaty they will get in hot weather.

But so far definetly thumb

Posts: 143 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some peltors also. I brought a pair of remingtons I find they are a better muff they do not shut off between shots they just reduce the noise level. I try and wear them for all my hunting.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of khonkhon
posted Hide Post
Thanks for great info.

Posts: 26 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
harbour frieght has them on sale from time to time for 20 bucks

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote