Find
Notify
Tools

Halvah and Mantecol
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
A serious review for those who are attracted to sweets like a bee is to honey. coffee Halvah!! Confused Allow me...It is the sweet of my youth in the Big Apple. And today in the mail I received a wonderful package of assorted slices sent by my daughter who is now residing there. clap What a surprise and a delight. It is confection made with sesame seed and honey, and its origins date back thousands of years. Joyva is the favored brand. thumb

Now in Argentina I discovered that they too had a halvah, sort of. Mantecol. The key ingredients in this one are peanuts. But the similarity in taste and texture is striking. I understand that the one company in Argentina that makes and sells Mantecol has recently been bought out by Cadbury.

It was not enough that the bloody Brits kept the Malvinas, now they are rubbing their presence in the face of the Argentines by "stealing" their confection. The great British empire - a forsaken island and Mantecol..... salute Next thing you know it will no longer be tea and crumpets, but tea and alfajores. Will it ever end? nilly

So there you have it......more fun than testing ATVs, thermos' and flashlights. Wink And edible as well..... knife

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do they make or at least import turron [torrone] ? Almonds are much better than peanuts !!

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Do they make or at least import turron [torrone] ? Almonds are much better than peanuts !!

Torrone is Italian....In english it nmeans "need a dentist." rotflmo
My daughter is in Rome right now. I'll ask her to bring me some......

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Torrone is Italian but the Spanish make it too , turron. In fact now I remember that here, Goya has some excellent turron at least available during the holidays. Spain has some of the best almonds in the world !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I almost always take some halvah while hunting. It's calorie rich and I figure if it was good enough for the Roman army it should be good enough for me too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Next thing you know it will no longer be tea and crumpets, but tea and alfajores. Will it ever end?"

I think the most eaten dish in England is now Chicken Tika Massala.

Thanks for the reminder, haven't had Halvah in years, I'll get some.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote