Notify
Tools

Best flashlights
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
I'm going into areas where rechargeables are not an option. Double A batteries are free and readily available. What small light is recommended considering these limitations? Also, anything left laying around develops feet and walks off.

If you need something durable and replaceable, here is a good option:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1LEE4

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7760 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've had them all - probably still own 5 streamlights. The Coast LED lenser is by far the best value, brightness, size and battery life. IT has a rugged black aluminum body, About $40, 3 AAA batteries last 100 hours, it's the size of a roll of quarters and it throws a beam like no other. I think I have about 10 of them now - one in every vehicle, the boat, hunting packs, bedrooms, etc. and everyone I've given one as a gift tells me its the best flashlight they've ever owned.

Posts: 15 | Location: Warren, OR | Registered: 31 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BPregler:
I have been using Underwater Kenetics for years and think they are great. Light, bright and waterproof as well as very durable.

I too have been using UK for about 20 years, both the SL6 and the SL4 (4 or 6 C cell battries) They come with a lanyard that can be looped over the lens and hung up so that you can work with both hands. They have a rubber lens cover that when removed provides more 'area' light. They are compact and easy to hold and very bright. I have had many of mine below 100 fsw looking for lobsters and never had one leak. The battery life is quite long. Not only are they great lights, they make great Christmas presents. The come in several colors too.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surefire for hand held, and Petzel for headlights.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The A2 Aviator is my favorite small hand held, for the reasons listed by posters above.

I also always carry an Executive Elite E1e.
I have had it for a long while, now, the E1L Outdoorsman is probably a better choice.

On my Safaris, and when hunting in the states I carry a M6 Guardian, for when I need a LOT of light.

I always have extra bulbs and batteries in the Surefire carriers.

I also have a couple of G2,s around for emergency spares. I just got one of the new LED bulbs for the G2 and so far I like it. It gives a lot longer runtime.

Its not that I am afraid of the Dark, or anything. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

I agree, however, I just recently purchased a Fenix and it may now eclipse my Surefires, of which I have maybe 10 or so.. We'll see.

The Petzels are great and I can't seem to make the batteries run down in them. I have a Taktikka (sp) that I use monthly, purchased about three years ago, and it's still on the original batts. I keep carrying the stupid spares around thinking I'm gonna need them..

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
US Military Sidewinder anybody? I carry cheap LED one, but think sidewinder wouldbe just the perfect thing.

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
The "INOVA" T2 and T4 rechargeable LEDs are worth looking into. thumb
www.inovalight.com

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been issued surefire , pelicans, and steamlights any of the high out put lights hold up great until the bulb gets hot. If the bulb is any drop or fast temp change and the bulb is toast.

Posts: 166 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I have a full sized sidewinder and it's great. very bright white LED, Blue, red and IR as well. Each has 4 brightness level and flash / beacon mode as well. I prefer AA to Lion batteries.

Expensive tho, $70 USD

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Collins, I read reviews and I think I am gonna ask Santa for one.

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use TerraLux.
They use 2 AA batteries, either standard or rechargable. (Typical is 6 hours per battery pair)
Have very high light output, and a low output setting.
Aluminum case like Maglite.
Reasonably priced.

I work for the Army and bought mine after I found that Army Fixed Wing Aviators were using them.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Xenon in my Maglites since they came out. WONDERFUL! LOTS brighter, last longer by two or three times.

Posts: 225 | Location: East Kentucky | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
I have a full sized sidewinder and it's great. very bright white LED, Blue, red and IR as well. Each has 4 brightness level and flash / beacon mode as well. I prefer AA to Lion batteries.

Expensive tho, $70 USD

Finally!

I am fond of this flashlight that is also Mil Spec. They can be purchased for under $50.00 online depending upon the selective lighting arrangement.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The fact is when it comes to Battery Technology, the Lithium 123 batteries seem to be the best batteries on the Planet.

I have never seen one leak, and they have a 10 year shelf life.

When it comes to Flashlights, again, SureFire is My choice.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
News Flash...
Rechargeable 123's (May not be news to all)
Off of Amazon and others. should take a considerable amount of sting out of the cost of those buggers.

http://www.amazon.com/RCR123A-...3951941&sr=8-1-spell

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
same batteries/charger available on ebay- only cheaper.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
"Off Topic"
My experiences on Amazon (vs. E-bay) are worth paying more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use exenon in my mag lite but a Surefire will totally wash out one of them. At Wal mart etc you can get a fiber optics attachment that goes on a mini mag and it makes a great bore light. I like my mini mag but like my Surefire 6p LED much better. No problem with bulb nor battery life.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
Home Depot has small LED flashlights that operate on three AAA bateries. $5.00 for a package of two.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I now use a TerrsLux LightStar 220.
http://www.terraluxcorp.com/te...abid/63/Default.aspx

Takes 2 AA batteries that can be standard or rechargable.
Output is 220 lumens or half-bright.
220 will hold up for under 2 hours, but half will work for about 6 hours.
I bought for self, brother and two sons.
Made like maglite, with real sturdy aluminum.
Cost was reasonable too.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to the folks at SureFire and they do not recommend useing rechargeable bats as they cause bulb burnout.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
In the "teaching an old dog new tricks" department, I was in the closeout aisle at wallyworld a few months ago and they had some LED bulbs for 3 cell maglights there so I bought one as I have a couple old 3D maglights laying around and I was curious how the bulbs are. Holy cow, was I impressed so much that I went back and bought a second bulb so both my lights are back in operation after sitting unused for 10 years or so. The beams still focus and they reach a comfortable 160 yards easily so they are great to take outside at night. I think I got them back in October and they are still on the first set of batteries and both these lights see nightly use. I have an old 2C light that has also been sitting for ages but hasn't gotten tossed that I think I'll look for a bulb to use in as well.

Anyway, even for the $20 retail the bulbs were marked they are a great way to breathe new life into a maglight.

Posts: 7760 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Are those the TerraLux bulbs, or a different brand?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
George,

It was a Maglight brand bulb. Here is a picture I grabbed off the web:

The most noticeable thing is the base is a lot fatter than a normal bulb, it is a close fit but it slides in just fine into the holder in the flashlight.

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
There's a world of difference in the flashlights of today, those LED bulbs are just plain fantastic. A Double AA minimag with the LED and red lens is surprising, and gets me to the stand just fine. Without the red lens even better. But for following bloodtrail in the dark I still use an older Surefire, you know the one that eats batteries too fast. Guess it's time I went LED for that too, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Trapper

In Aussie LED Lenser P7 is best had about 4 different kinds.
Best alround due to fact it has high/low beam and you can focus wide or tight beam.

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanderhoef:
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

I agree, however, I just recently purchased a Fenix and it may now eclipse my Surefires, of which I have maybe 10 or so.. We'll see.

I've been using the Fenix LD10 around the house and took a TK11 on the trip to Africa. Both are great.

My PH and our crew went back for the trailer and were coming back through the muck and rain to help my buddy get his eland loaded. In the pitch black, we called them on the radio to try and get a location. My buddy fired up his TK11 and it glowed like a blue star in the night. We found them with no problem upwards of 1/4 to 1/2 mile away in the dark. I ended up leaving my TK11 with my PH to have and he later told me that they liked it so much that he and his wife "fought" over who was going to get it. Big Grin

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the small size browning LED flashlights are really good and takes regular AA batteries, but still last a good while while lighting up stuff in the distance.

Or if you want to go all out, there is this:
4100 lumens of power. able to start fires:
The Torch

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fenix LEDs are very good performance for the money
- L2D . 2x AA
my EDC is a Saik 1XAA ( 80 lum).........and I have 3 or so spares stashed here & there.
Fishing/hunting bushwalking light is a Tiablo A9 I have had for about 3 yrs now , that runs on a 1860 lithium rechargable + spares..
210 lum on high , excellent spot to 400+yards
50 Lum on low , perfect for trail walking

I hate LEDs with fancy strobes, SOS ,& beacon programs in them, a simple high/low/off does me fine.

plus a couple of 900Lum "fun" LED lights and a handful of cheaper 'loaners' at my remote cabin ( there's always someone who comes without a light...........and then its months before you get it back).

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote