New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best flashlights
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been using "Coast" flashlights for the last two years and they are the best I've found for the price. The quality is excellent and they stand behind their product. I have used many different brands some decent some junk, these are tops. They make a tiny keyring model that comes in different colors (blue probably good for tracking blood), this thing is REALLY handy. Cosco has some now but take a look at their whole line, lots to choose from. I use the headlight, tactical, keyring and one large (3 c cells). Surefire stuff at 1/3 the price.

Posts: 129 | Location: Darrington Washington | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
SUREFIRE is my choice; expensive but bullet proof!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Surefire makes a very bright light, however I have a hell of a time keeping the bulbs from burning out! They are not cheap to replace! Anyone else have this problem?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I have never had to replace a bulb! I have (2) that have been dropped and thrown around. Maybe I'm just lucky, but no problem.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Underwater Kenetics for years and think they are great. Light, bright and waterproof as well as very durable.

+ 150 Posts - Lost password in last switchover

Posts: 42 | Location: KCMO - But always an Okie | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
When talking about rechargables, "bulb lights" are obsolete today. Have a look at any good quality HID flashlights. Classic rechargables use mostly old kind of NiCD accumulators, some of them low end NiMH. Modern HIDs use mostly high capacity, fast rechargable Li-On accumulators. For the second, price of HID flashlight is higher, but life of "HID bulb" is many hundreds of hours and light is many times brigter and stronger with superb uniformity.

For example : http://www.brightstar-hid.com/product_info_e.php?UID=775

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Shurefire from Mexico to Africa
When it is pitch black this is the one for me.
In Mexico the little light lit the hole room in the ranch house better than candle light.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have three Surefires and they give excellent, bright light and are very durable. That's the good news. Here is what I consider the two drawbacks: on my Surefires you don't have much warning of the batteries weakening and you may think you've got plenty of time left on them. Then, when you're creeping up on the Leopard blind and it's getting dark they just go dim and blank in what seems like a matter of seconds. So, every time you want to make sure that you'll have maximum battery time you really need to put in fresh batteries or carry spares on your person. The second problem was mentioned in a previous post. It hasn't happened to me but I have a friend who has had bulbs burn out on him also.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a nightstar cs. No batteries required. The light output is quite good. Advantage being an extra set of batteries is not required. Just shake it and voila.

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
I have three Surefires and they give excellent, bright light and are very durable. That's the good news. Here is what I consider the two drawbacks: on my Surefires you don't have much warning of the batteries weakening and you may think you've got plenty of time left on them. Then, when you're creeping up on the Leopard blind and it's getting dark they just go dim and blank in what seems like a matter of seconds. So, every time you want to make sure that you'll have maximum battery time you really need to put in fresh batteries or carry spares on your person. The second problem was mentioned in a previous post. It hasn't happened to me but I have a friend who has had bulbs burn out on him also.

I've got the Surefire A2 Aviator, and when the batteries run out (and this happens sooner than I prefer), you still have the LED function that seems to work for a very long time.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Redlander, you are right, I also have an Aviator and the LED option saves you from instant darkness. My other two Surefires are the smaller ones which fit into the combo magazine/flashlight holder with my handgun set-up.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to Surefire. I have a three L-2s which will give a dual intensity LED until the batteries reach a low point and then it is only low power. That's your warning to change batteries. I have a blue filter for the L2. I also have a G-2 Nitrolon that resides on my nightstand. Instant blindness for anyone that wakes me Mad I have been playing with a Browning marketed light that is nice, Red LED, Blue LED, White LED and then bright white as per the Surefire. Only bad thing is you have to cycle through the entire spectrum to turn it off or get what you want. Its bigger and not as handy as the L2s.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
On a similar thought, has anyone used the aftermarket bulbs for Mag-Lites?

Xenon bulb

The same web site has high intensity LED bulbs too. Interesting...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a like new M2 Surefire. AWESOME

I got the kids Streamlite Twin Tasks thumb

A friend has 6 Surefires and got his M6-CB yesterday. We burned up 6 batteries in my backyard last night. It illuminated channel markers half a mile away.

He has an Aviator which I like but I think with the M2 I'm going with a dedicated LED.

Lumenex is looking pretty good

Check out the FLASHAHOLICS for good prices and an extensive knowledge base

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.pocketlights.com/pak-lite.asp

I picked up three of these Pak-lite flashlights. They just snap on a 9V battery, and they through abright white/blue light. So small and handy. So bright.

600 hr burn time on low. 75 hr settling on high. Can serve a night light on low setting if camping with children. Longer output with Nicads.

There is also a simpler version available with just on/off, for ~ $14. Can't beat that deal with a stick. Keep it in a zip lock lunch bag, and your set for the field.

I really like them. Buying more for Christmas presents.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kel Lights,Stream Lights & Mag Lights were used by LE. .Mag Lights made in Ontario,CA became very popular and were issued to members of our CA dept.All models were very effective when doing searches and at times for personal protection as they made great self defense weapons.As a result of my employment experiences I have 4 Mag Lights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Surefire "Digital 2 Ultra" is by far the best out there today..."EXPENSIVE", but worth every penny....Full LED, 3 brightness settings, Buffalo-tough and very, very easy on batteries.

None better for overall use.

Aviator is great, but eats batteries like a hungry Labrador.

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on size requirements, Streamlight Stinger is considerably cheaper and brighter but is larger and rechargeable. Still compact but certainly not the "hand" size of the Surefires. I like it for general ranch and hunting use better.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fat Cat,

You are on....rechargeables rule 'round the place, but are a got-dang'd pain on safari...

WTH are you in Tejas anyway?

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff:

We're a ways apart. I'm up here in NE Texas, basically where Tx, Ok, and Ark join.

I just barely missed meeting you at the Flag Ranch where I was hunting mule deer in 05. Heard a lot about you, some of it good. Wink Guide was Phil Emsfinger, I really liked him and he thought you were OK with reservations, so you probably are. LOL. Anyone who consorts with Cole can't be all good, or all bad for that matter. Roll Eyes

If you're ever roaming up in this direction, please drop by. BTW, noticed your other post, I own a couple of 21s too, but don't have the shooting experience with them that you do.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dam sorry I missed you!

Got this dang'd eye thing going on and got to get it fixed, soon as the docs can figure it out.

Gotta love Phil - he's the "real" deal. "Cole" - the littlest "Big" brother I've got...Love it when that "Commanche" comes out in him! cheers

Will let you know next time I'm up that way.

Good hearing from you,

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My surefire eats batt like popcorn and they get hot enough to burn your had if held on a long time.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mag Light & StreamLight cause they make excellent billy clubs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My surefire eats batt like popcorn and they get hot enough to burn your had if held on a long time.

Those were the old days my friend...The new "all LED" models get 500% more battery life (maybe more) and don't heat-up nearly as much...BTW, I once had that same gripe!

JW

PS - They don't beak bulbs either...cuz there ain't one!

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
So you think that you have a bad ass flightlight huh? check these guys out.

Flashaholics

flashaholics forums

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have the surfire G2 it has a bright light but the batteries cost a lot more than regular batteries and the life is only 60 min. I hunt walk in areas that are 45 min fast walks to get to. This would crap out two+ batteries a day. To me this is not a good light because of batt. cost and short life. I am curently useing and likeing the cheap!!! energizer headlight light and bright $14 and 50 hr battery life.

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I´m in the States next week for the SCI Convention.

Want to buy a SUREFIRE FLASHLIGHT... which is the best for Leopard hunting ?!

So many different kind of SUREFIRE Confused

Is there usually a Both from Surefire on the SCI Convention or i have it to buy in the new CABELAS Store in Reno

Can anybody help

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
surefire does have a booth there. they specifically make a version of the M3 combat light they call the leopard light. it is designed to be mounted in a set of 1 inch scope rings directly on a rifle. check surefire's website for pictures. i have an M6 combat light for night leopard hunting-it is even brighter than the M3. in fact it is so bright with the 500 lumen bulb that it essentially blinds whatever it hits for at least 4-5 minutes but it is bulkier than the M3. if you buy a surefire at the convention be sure and buy a bunch of extra batteries at their booth. these lights go thru a lot of batteries and the surefire people sell them direct a LOT cheaper than other sellers.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jdollar

Many thanks for the Infos thumb

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
Surefire makes a very bright light, however I have a hell of a time keeping the bulbs from burning out! They are not cheap to replace! Anyone else have this problem?

I've only heard of this happening frequently when folks try to use rechargeable batteries in the surefire. The rechargeables start off with an overvoltage that eats Surefire bulbs.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were issued Mag-Lite rechargeables made in nearby Ontario,CA & they were great for other uses such as self defense.

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Pelican StealthLite for years. Never a problem.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
I have 6 of Wayne’s lights including the ShadeSlayer---some can be used as weapons! Makes the others mentioned here look like incandescent vs HID (btw have 3 HID flashlights).

Do NOT take my word for it read about them and then do the research... Because they are over 4000k they have no glare to speak of. Brutal bright and long life if you use the right batteries. Use the wrong ones and you might as well use one of the ones mentioned above.

http://www.elektrolumens.com/

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Surefire Outdoorsman clap Fantastic flashlight....I'd like another Wink

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol Bull:
Surefire Outdoorsman clap Fantastic flashlight....I'd like another Wink

I like the new EL1 Backup as well...

But if anything goes serious, I only trus my C3 Centurion or M2 !!!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I'm going into areas where rechargeables are not an option. Double A batteries are free and readily available. What small light is recommended considering these limitations? Also, anything left laying around develops feet and walks off.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Double A batteries are free and readily available. What small light is recommended considering these limitations? .

for this limitation there are 2 options:

a good headlight:
http://www.titanium-gunworks.de/stirnlampen/led-stirnlampen/icon.html

or a Fenix with up to 180 Lumen:
http://www.titanium-gunworks.de/stirnlampen/fenix-lampen/fenix-l2d-ce-q5.html

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JPenn
posted Hide Post
I have several Surefires, for general use, I like their LED model (L2)....BUT....I recently bought a 1 battery Fenix and I swear it is a s bright as the 2 battery Surefire, and it is small enough to carry in your pocket, about the size of a pack of Rolaids.

SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

Posts: 226 | Location: Texas | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Took my Surefire E2L Outdoorsman http://www.surefire.com/E2L-Outdoorsman north of Nome this past September for my Grizzly hunt. Shot a 62" moose w/ my 45 LC Ruger @ 15 yds instead. Didn't head back to camp, 9 miles away via Argos 8-wheel ATV, until near dark. Lost the trail on the way back in a swampy area that if not careful could have meant a long night in the bush. Handed my outfitter my flashlight so he could walk ahead 50-100 yds trying to relocate the trail. Took nearly 2 hours to get back on track. In the process, he came across several sets of eyes which scared the bejesus out of him. This was Grizzly country and the bears here are "blue collar" bears as the local biologist calls them since they hunt for a living and are very aggressive. "No fat, lazy, salmon fed, bears around these parts" he says. Needless to say, my outfitter loved my flashlight as the 60 lumen feature could run for 11 hours and really put on hurt on those scary eyes in the bush for him. He wasn't packin a gun either.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a surefire and I just bought three fenix's at shot show. I like the fenix better.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote