New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions Requested: Best Gun Safe?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is your first choice if buying a new gun safe?

Thank you.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at Liberty safes. I am very happy with mine. Buy the biggest one you can afford. Its surprizing how much stuff you will put in them besides guns.

Posts: 55 | Location: Gretna,NE | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you prefer the electric locking system or the old fashioned mechanical tumbler?

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get the tumbler. You will remember the combination until that point in your mental life when you shouldn't be handling guns anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha Ha ha ha....that's about right.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I saw these in Dallas at the safari show and was impressed. To me the design makes it much easier to get at rifles easily.

http://www.pendletonsafes.com/

Mike

Posts: 21048 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I saw those and was also impressed. But, I don't think they have a fire rating which is an important aspect to me.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Liberty safes get my vote.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
1. Fire rating is the important thing to remember.

2. Advertised gun capacity should be reduced by 1/3 to 1/2.

3. Interior lighting is a nice option.

4. I like the electronic lock, I finally replaced the batteries on mine last weekend, lasted me 7 years.

5. That said I like my Fort Knox.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out Sturdy Safes.

www.sturdysafes.com

They have good fire protection.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the Liberty Franklin series. Very nice safe. With the tumbler dial.

Posts: 20 | Location: central Mo. | Registered: 14 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I have a Cannon I like it and the warranty is very impressive.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3062 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I have had several different safes over the years.

For a great fire safe:

http://www.securityproducts1.com/

I started to write great "basic" safes but it appears:

They have "prettied up " the line quite a bit since I purchased my 1/4 steel safes with extra fire-lining-

Mine were basic gray or brown with the protected key double locks.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
What is your first choice if buying a new gun safe?

Thank you.

Graffunder.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two safes made by "ZANOTTI" manufactured in Waterloo, Iowa. They are constructed of six seperate pices. Can be taken apart and move by two people. Each safe has two seperate locking processes and will hold 56 "guns" each.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
My Liberty stood tall when 6" of ice took my shop building down. Glad to have had it.

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
Yes, I saw those and was also impressed. But, I don't think they have a fire rating which is an important aspect to me.

Bingo, plus they seem very expensive. Nice idea though and very efficient.

I bought a Champion Trophy series TY-23 gun safe with 60 minutes at 1350 degrees for around a $1000. I need another one but my source stopped selling this sized version and it's the only one that'll fit through the doors of my back rooms. Looks like I have to get a bigger safe and pick a different location.

And make sure your safe is bolted down!

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 15 years ago the local newspaper was selling its big old safe, a monster two-door Mosler. I bought it for (I think) about $200 and paid the moving company $400 to move it from the loading dock to my office in an outbuilding. Heavy bugger!

It has an insurance fire rating and no local punk is ever going to either get into it or cart it off.

I think these old big safes are probably better than the gun safes I've seen at guns shows.

The bigger and heavier the old safe, the cheaper!

Big drawback is that they are too heavy for residential flooring.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the old two door safes as well. It is a PIG! That being said I had to have some work done on the tumbler recently. The safe is probably 60-70 years old. The lock smith said it is basically a fire safe and not a great security safe. It can be easily drilled as compared to newer models.

quote:
Originally posted by Oxon:
About 15 years ago the local newspaper was selling its big old safe, a monster two-door Mosler. I bought it for (I think) about $200 and paid the moving company $400 to move it from the loading dock to my office in an outbuilding. Heavy bugger!

It has an insurance fire rating and no local punk is ever going to either get into it or cart it off.

I think these old big safes are probably better than the gun safes I've seen at guns shows.

The bigger and heavier the old safe, the cheaper!

Big drawback is that they are too heavy for residential flooring.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
I have had several different safes over the years.

For a great fire safe:

http://www.securityproducts1.com/

I started to write great "basic" safes but it appears:

They have "prettied up " the line quite a bit since I purchased my 1/4 steel safes with extra fire-lining-

Mine were basic gray or brown with the protected key double locks.

Those older double key Security Products safes were very strong.
Not many safes made today are as thick as those were.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Strong and a double hernia to move Eeker

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is why I like the Sturdy Safes, they are made of thicker steel than most.

And they have very good fire protection.

Their website has a lot of good info on it...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safes keep honest people honest. However, they can be broken into. One way is a circular saw with abrasive blades and cutting the top of the safe off. (I'm not giving the bad guys ideas, they already know the tricks) Fire is a strange thing. Fire ratings almost seem to be a suggestion instead of an absolute fact. That being said, I bought a Liberty Safe and no one has tried cutting it up or burning it down. I still have all my junk but I'm not so naive as to believe a professional burglar couldn't get in. My safe has a good fire rating but close examination shows the safe door is starting to tilt and needs to be adjusted. My guess is that if I had a fire, everything would be cooked, regardless of the warranty. I like the idea of a push-button combination and me being the only person with the combination. No fear of a child or intruder finding a key and getting easy access.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Liberty for me. Liberty makes almost everyone's private label/brand safe these days and that says a lot about their security and quality.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:

Cal30

I'll never buy another Cannon. They do not honor their warranty. Anybody interested in a boat anchor, I have a broken Cannon they can pick up. Replaced it with an American Security sold to me by the locksmith who spent 4 hours in my home to get the Cannon open.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 930 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing I've never liked about many of the gun safes out there are the ones where the door won't open farther than 90 degrees. If it won't open more than that, it makes it very difficult to get to things stored on the hinge side of the safe. I'd like to know from all of you out there how far does the door open on your safe and what brand is it. I'm especially interested in those that open farther than 90 degrees. Thanks.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 old Browning safes, not fire proof at all, but they both open to about 180 deg. And remember, however big you get it it won't be big enough.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two. First was a browning, second was american security. I like em both.
Okie

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
As a former LEO, I can tell you this. Rgardless how thick the walls of your safe are, it won't stop some of the modern portable hand-held saws. They don't need to open the door, just cut a large hole in the side or top.

And the really mean ones won't even need a saw. They'll stick a gun up your nose (or that of one of your loved ones) to encourage YOU to open the safe.

Gun safes are good things, to keep kids and "smash & grab" artists or sneak thieves apart from your guns, but you don't need a very expensive or thick walled one to do that.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I also have two, a 56 long gun capacity one which I bought in 1981, and a much less heavy 16-gun one I bought earlier this year. Now that I have sold about 60 of my guns, the rest all fit in those two safes (barely).

Both my safe doors open about 180°, and both now have biometric locks on them . I got tired of trying to wheel that dial around and count the rotations required back and forth and back and forth, so as I always have my fingers with me (so far), I just let the print of one of them open the safes for me. BTW Sergeant & Greenleaf make high quality biometric locks which will replace the dial lock of just about every gun safe ever made commercially. Takes way less than an hour of a locksmith's or your time to do the change over.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A safe that I can move where I want it myself when I want to would be my next one. Such safes are made by Zanotti, Snap Safe, Champion and perhaps others.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cal30

I agree, the warranty is impressive - PROBLEM IS THEY DON'T HONOR THEIR WARRANTY. If anybody wants my canon safe they can have it. This safe wouldn't open and had to be drilled by a locksmith, WHILE HE WAS ON THE PHONE WITH CANNON. After this drilling, which completely ruined the safe, CANON SAYS IT'S NOT COVERED BY THE WARRANTY.

I'LL NEVER BUY CANNON AND RECOMMEND YOU DON'T EITHER.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Posts: 930 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
+1 on Sturdy Safe. Big on strength and fire, not on looks.
Von

Posts: 6 | Location: Gloster, MS | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are a premium, but I like Fort Knox. Just bought my second one at SCI

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Liberty Fatboy. Holds a bunch. I will sell you mine if you are interested - but you have to arrange transport.

Posts: 10079 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Liberty Washington series and it has worked great for the last 18 years.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cal30

Yes, the warranty is impressive until you try to use it and the company tells you the safe is broke and it's your fault - then refuses to honor their warranty. I have one that the locksmith drilled open and Cannon refused to honor their warranty. Anybody wants it, can have it. I'm currently using it to anchor a houseboat in Elephant Butte Lake.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw an Academy sale ad for Cannon Gun Safes this morning, got to thinking, "Well, maybe I need another safe." I remembered this thread and went on internet to research Cannons.

In short, the internet if FULL of very unhappy Cannon customer stories mostly revolving around the damn electronic lock not working, their guns being locked in, and receiving ZERO help from Cannon.

Thanks for the heads up, Pancho, and I damn sure won't be buying a Cannon safe with an electronic lock, which I've always thought was a poor idea anyway.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
When we experienced the catastrophic flood in 2010, I called my gun shop where I bought the Oxbow safe. He told me it was made by Cannon and to call them. They asked for the serial number and said a new safe (same model) would be sent in 8 weeks at no cost to me. Shipping? Free. 8 days later, FedEx dropped off my new safe. It took 4 of us to bring it inside. I've never had a problem with either safe other than the flood. The flood safe? They said keep it, it's yours.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
FYI - ALL of the "gun safes" on the market today are not safes at all.. The insurance industry classifies them as "Residential Security Cabinets".. and are covered differently that a real SAFE.

I had an old turn of the century safe made by a company called Herring, Hall, and Marvin. They are easily recognized as they were the only old time safe company that used ball bearing hinges.
It had an office desk style interior when I got it, but that was easily removed. It also had a "day door"... an interior door that opened with a key, so you could leave the safe open during business hours. the day door was a full 1/4" thick plate steel with 4 locking lugs that rival the current production gun safes.

It weighed near a ton and I had to hire a rigger to move it every time I moved.. the last time I moved, I had outgrown it and the cost to move it was in excess of the cost of a new gun safe.

In Retrospect, I should have kept the HHM safe and just added another... I've been looking for another, and if I find one, I'll bite the bullet and grab it..

The only modern "gun safe" that comes close to the old time safes is Zanotti Armor, but last I heard, there is a 3 year wait if you want one..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote