Find
Notify
Tools

Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bipod - CRAP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted
Purchased a Stoney Point Rapid Pivot BiPod recently and wanted to provide a review. I have used the Harris bipods for years with good results, but found them heavy and unwieldy for anything but antelope hunts. I was attracted to the Stoney Points because they were light, field detachable, and offered a connector that allowed the bi-pod to be used on multiple rifles.

POSITIVES: Very light. The "prone" size that I purchased weighs 6.4 ounces and can easily be carried in a pocket or pack until needed. Leg length is manipulated by rotating the leg to loosen and tighten. Much easier to adjust the leg length when lieing down than on a Harris bi-pod. Very quiet.

NEGATIVES: Installing the attachment points on the rifle is a PITA. Loosened up over time. Legs on the bipod are attached at the top by a rubber yoke. Legs automatically spring back to the closed position when you change rifle position. Yoke split on the first day of my antelope hunt and a leg simply fell off. Termparture was 70 degrees so cold was not a factor. This was the second hunt that this bipod had been used on, and perhaps the third time the bipod had been attached to my rifle. Totally unacceptable performance. Contacted Bushnell and was told I had to ship the entire bipod in for "evaluation" at my expense. This in spite of the fact that they could have simply mailed me a replacement yoke. This problem appears to be common.

This product is a good concept poorly executed. The rubber used in the yoke is a failure waiting to happen. A piece of lightweight aluminum that allows both legs to pivot out to a certain degree would work well.

I would NOT recommend this product to anyone until the issue is resolved.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I experienced the same thing.

Posts: 10079 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote