New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope shims: A product for our future?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Browning .308Win with a Bushnell Banner 6x18 on top. I'm at the top of my vertical adjustment and still hitting about 2" low with 168gr bullets. I like the scope model and just bought a new model Banner in 6x24. In the mounting instructions is a section on installing scope shims. I've never seen this before and am wondering if this is something new that we're apt to see more of in the future. Possibly the scope companies are cutting back on the amount of adjustment available to us. I don't really know for sure, but I am concerned. Anyone else experience this? Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
I usually cut them out of brass shimstock or thin aluminum (pop cans) depending on what thickness I need or the application.

Scope companies ARE getting cheaper for the most part, but this has been an ongoing problem as every scope/mount combination is somewhat unique.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nearly every problem I have seen lately with gross scope misalignemt has been do to TWO factors NONE of which are the scope Manufacurers fault,really.

First, many factory rifles have misalligned barrels and or scope mount holes or dovetails.It is nearly impossible to get the scope's center in line with the bore under those conditions.

Second as scopes are offered in higher and higher power ranges(due to shooters "needing more power" ,the range of adjustment is LESS.That's why tactical scopes generally have 30mm tubes,to get more adjustment range.

In a 12x or higher 1" tubed scope it is darn tough to offer enough POI adjustment to compoenste for some of the poor machine work on many facorty rifles these days.

Most of the timne,it only takesd a few clicks of W&E to get a scope bore sighted, but when it takes more, it generally is NOT the scope makers fault.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I've got a one piece base on a Steyr BMG 50. Can I shim the rear of this? It's 3.125" between the clamp nuts. And it's got a SA 6-20-56 Mil-dot on it. Any idea how many thou' would be a MOA? I think I'm gonna need to break out the calculator for this!

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Shims suck. Mine always liked to work loose, loctite and all, until I epoxy bedded them...just like a stock.

Try the burris signature rings if shims concern you.

Dunno if any of it would hold up to a BMG. I would think that a near perfect fit would be required on that, to distribute the forces better! Good luck!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cal Sibley:
I have a Browning .308Win with a Bushnell Banner 6x18 on top. I'm at the top of my vertical adjustment and still hitting about 2" low with 168gr bullets. I like the scope model and just bought a new model Banner in 6x24. In the mounting instructions is a section on installing scope shims. I've never seen this before and am wondering if this is something new that we're apt to see more of in the future. Possibly the scope companies are cutting back on the amount of adjustment available to us. I don't really know for sure, but I am concerned. Anyone else experience this? Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Sounds like something any competent gunsmith could fix.

Can't resist:

Bring it to Dewey, he keeps a 5 lb hammer just for pounding the objective down until it's fixed!

Dewey, Cheetum, and Howe
Custom Gunsmiths

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsman:
Nearly every problem I have seen lately with gross scope misalignemt has been do to TWO factors NONE of which are the scope Manufacurers fault,really.

First, many factory rifles have misalligned barrels and or scope mount holes or dovetails.It is nearly impossible to get the scope's center in line with the bore under those conditions.

Second as scopes are offered in higher and higher power ranges(due to shooters "needing more power" ,the range of adjustment is LESS.That's why tactical scopes generally have 30mm tubes,to get more adjustment range.

In a 12x or higher 1" tubed scope it is darn tough to offer enough POI adjustment to compoenste for some of the poor machine work on many facorty rifles these days.

Most of the timne,it only takesd a few clicks of W&E to get a scope bore sighted, but when it takes more, it generally is NOT the scope makers fault.

Quit buying Winchesters! jumping

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
I've got a one piece base on a Steyr BMG 50. Can I shim the rear of this? It's 3.125" between the clamp nuts. And it's got a SA 6-20-56 Mil-dot on it. Any idea how many thou' would be a MOA? I think I'm gonna need to break out the calculator for this!

It's a similar triangles problem. Long, skinny similar triangles.

The ratio of a 1" displacement on your target to 100 yards is the same as the ratio of your shim height to your screw spacing.

100 yards is 3600"

1"/3600" = (shim height)/3.125"

or

(shim height) = (3.125/3600)" = 0.000868"

Just under a thousandth.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds to me like a new mount is needed. i have seen this happen , but usually from the wrong base or rings.

i will not mount any scope on shims ,when you use shims you change the diameter of your ring which may make your scope egg shaped when tightened. that scope then may be useless on any other setup.

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I am so glad that shims are history. I use Burris Signature rings when an alignment problem occurs.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shimmed up bases (just did a JC Higgins FN mauser last week).

The problem with shimming one base of a two piece mounting system, is that the rings are not in line with each other, and will dent a scope when rings are tightened. The problem is eliminated if you use a one piece base, and shim UNDER the base. The rings stay in line.

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
WHY not machine off the base to get things to fit
instead of raising the one end with shims lower the other by shortning the base

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When my GS was alive he used business cards for shims that he'd cut strips off & shellac them letting them dry before inseting them,I watched him do it many times and it worked.

One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine had the same problem with a Howa Varminter. As it turns out, the receiver was machined wrong from the factory. You may have a similar problem. As per your question, shims may well be a "product for our future" as long as manufacturers are more concerned about a dollar than they are about making a quality product.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote