Find
Notify
Tools

RainGear For Alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of joedjr
posted
I will be North of the Brooks Range in Alaska in September. I was told the Avg temp will be approx 40f and may dip into the low 30's at times. I was told you can get two hour long rain downpours and they could occur everyday. Also some snow can be expected. What is the best waterproof outer garment available and price is not an issue.

Posts: 310 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really love breathable rain gear for hunting&fishing but I have spent half my life fishing in Alaska and for tough conditions there and most anywhere in the mountains you need commercial type gear. I have been using guy cotton for a long time now and prefer it. They have a "Captains" jacket that has some good features like elastic cuffs ect. Grundens and even helly hansen is also good..see what fits best. You will find this is the opinion of most who walk around outside in Alaska

Posts: 129 | Location: Darrington Washington | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Helly Hanson Impertech: light, waterproof, tough

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2933 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
I have been working in the bush as a prospector for quite a few years now and have tried almost every type of raingear that is available.

Here is what I now wear "Bare" Kodiak Wading Jacket and "Bare" Blackwater Breathable chest waders with the inner leg that attaches to the neoprene booties cut off so they are just regular bib pants.

The waders are an olive green in color and very lightweight they are made of 3 ply and the jacket is a 4ply micro extreme fabric that is cut and abrasion resistant type material that is a monolithic breathable membrane.

Here is the best part the jacket cost me $210.00 and the pants were warranty returnes where the neoprene booties leaked so I got the pants for free.

I have been wearing this same gear now for 4 years and it has never failed me.

I highly recommend taking a look at this outfit.

You can imagine how dry you are when

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never been to Alaska but spend a lot of time out and about in very wet weather and I recommend one of these:

http://www.musto.com/productdetail.aspx?fromSearch=true&productId=1649

I'm on my second one now and don't think the newer ones are quite as robust as the old ones but even so I got 12+ years out of the old one.

They have a good hood which is essential in driving rain and sensible pockets including an inner zipped one for mobile phone, car keys etc. The Musto is also the right length as much "trendy" outdoor wear is designed by someone who only ever walks from the office to the car park and is far too short. In colder weather you can wear a fleece jacket inside the coat.

I wash my fleece jackets in waterproofing and this means that any condensation that builds up inside the coat doesn't soak back in to your body. On wet days when you are walking hard it doesn't matter what coat you have there is just no way to stop condensation building up.

In terms of waterproof trousers I wear some from Cabelas in colder weather and also some of the Paramo. The Paramo are excellent and there is nothing else that passes moisture/condensation like them but they are quite noisey and a bit fragile and only really suited to moderately mild conditions.

In terms of under layers the Paramo shirts are wonderful:

http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garments/detail/index.php...AMETASSHIRTTRAILMENS

I also wear Under Armour ColdGear Metal Mock. I think a lot of the UA stuff is over rated but this particular thing works well for me, I haven't found anything else that moves moisture from the skin as well, though it is expensive. You can pair it with similar synthetic shorts and although you will stink to high heavens after a while you will be comfortable. This is the UA offering though I'm sure there are alternatives for a lot less money that work just as well:

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/mens/apparel/bottoms/co...on-Short/1003526-001

Hopefully that gives you some ideas.