Find
Notify
Tools

Haggis
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
Is the haggis in the north of Scotland better than that in the south? Or do some prefer the coastal haggis? My in depth testing revealed that coastal haggis, served with a turnip cream topping, and a rich brown gravy is preferable.
holycow

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand many Americans, like the Scots, have a sweet tooth.

In that case, you should try another Scottish culinary masterpiece:

the deep fried Mars bar. It consists of a soft 'fudge' like material, covered in milk chocolate.

I am not making this up BTW.

If you have Italian blood in you, you could try deep fried pizza.

Now you understand why Scotland has one of the highest rates of heart disease.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm half Scottish and spent a good deal of my childhood there. Every time I go back to visit family I pretty much want haggis for every meal! I love the stuff.
As for deep fried Mars bars, people in the South here in the US think they like to deep fry food; well the Scots take it to an entirely different level, they never met a food they couldn't batter and throw in a pot of grease!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3498 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
sounds like the Scots are related to black Africans. they both love guts and grits.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13096 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
sounds like the Scots are related to black Africans. they both love guts and grits.

Big, truly big, difference. The Scots work and pay for what they eat.
And haggis is far removed from guts, it is a culinary masterpiece and when preceeded by a single malt Islay, and then served with a frothy, cold Guinness it is hard to beat. beer

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guinness??? with haggis? With Haggis serve a Scottish brew like Tennents not that Irish shite.

The true measure of a hunters skill is not the size of the trophy but rather the length of the shot with the greater measure of skill being the shorter shot---Jeff Cooper

Posts: 399 | Location: Cass County, Texas | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
re. The South and fried food....

I have had FRIED ICE CREAM...IF THAT AIN'T WEIRD, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS....

It was pretty good. Eeker Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jnc91:
Guinness??? with haggis? With Haggis serve a Scottish brew like Tennents not that Irish shite.

For me there are two beers - Guinness and Quilmes stout. I will say that I did try Tennents, and the one they call Velvet was quite good as well. clap

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I visit Scotland, I head for the nearest bake shop to get a Pie and Bridie to tide me over till I get to a place with Haggis.
Favorite is the Pie.
Some places use a very pungent mutton in their bridies.
Bobby Burns honored the Haggis appropriately.
I Byde It!!
Best place I can get pies and bridies here in th US is Cameron's in Florida. Used to get all our Scottish items in Kearny, New Jersey.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
quote:
Originally posted by jnc91:

For me there are two beers - Guinness and Quilmes stout. I will say that I did try Tennents, and the one they call Velvet was quite good as well. clap

You have not tasted Czech beer yet.

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I will "check" on that one..... wave

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I now buy my haggis, meat pies, and briies from Camerons located in Brick New jersey.
Ian is a great cook and during cold months he will ship his foods (frozen).
I just bought $700 of items to stock my deep freeze, since my trips to New Jersey only occur once per year.

Bob N

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote