Find
Notify
Tools

Peltor Tactical 6 ear muffs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
Just got back from the first range trip with a new set...compared them back and forth with regular Peltor non-electronic muffs and foam ear plugs.

First impressions: Not the most comfortable due to relatively thin padding against your head. The behind the neck strap works fine, especially with a hat. The tension may need to be adjusted by wearing and stretching the band, time will tell.

Noise amplification works well. You can tell the sound is 'different', but still recognize and place bird chirps and footsteps and such behind you. Stereo effect is good.

Noise reduction is just okay. I am used to the stronger noise blocking of regular muffs. Shots are noticably louder with these, even with the volume turned off. They did block the blast well, but just don't muffle as well as foam plugs or regular muffs. It was not loud enough to be disturbing or uncomfortable, and my ears aren't ringing from my 300 or my neighbors short barreled 30-06 though, so I'd say they are just good enough.

I'm primarily bought them for hunting though, and the dove season opens in a few weekends. We'll see how they fare after extended wearing!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CDH:
I'm primarily bought them for hunting though, and the dove season opens in a few weekends. We'll see how they fare after extended wearing!

My guess that opening week of dove season in South Texas will be hot and the muffs will come off.I have always been interested in them,but never bought them because I figured they would be to hot.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use mine for the range....they're hot out here in the West Texas desert....Better than going deaf....don't wear them for hunting.

Jeff

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it was too hot...I only had a gallons worth of empty water and Gatorade bottles in my hunting bucket at the end of the day. beer Beer after the hunt was good and cold though!

They still work okay at the range...better with pistols that rifle blasts though due to the lesser (19) noise reduction rating than regular muffs (22-24).

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use to use the Peltors 6s I have two pair. Then I picked up a pair of remingtons 2000s a much nicer muff.

The peltors I have shut off at the shot the Remingtons surpress the sound so one doesn't loose your hearing for a slit second.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote