New
Find
Notify
Tools

best invention ever
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got back from an elk hunt with 4 others, and we all bought the Garmin GPS Radios Rino 120&130's. Every one knew where the other was, and we were always in touch.

Posts: 67 | Location: Lubbock Texas | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What was the reception like? Range? and was the range affected by topography.

thanks
the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
they have a two mile range and in the country reception is great

Posts: 67 | Location: Lubbock Texas | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
topography didn't matter with in the two mile range but up on a mountain we could talk up to four miles

one of us
posted Hide Post
saved me a long pack by myself my partner zeroed right in on me and i help getting my animal out. they work great!

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I remember reading somewhere (I think it pertains to France but maybe it was an African country) that hunting with radio communication capability was illegal in that jurisdiction. What are US rules on that subject?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink, the rules are different in different states.That makes it confusing.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Wink,
In most states the use of radios is allowed but you can not use them to aid in the hunting. So, you can be hunting and ask your buddy where the hell he is located, but you cant tell him that there is a bug bull bedded down 300 yards in front of him! In Colorado many fish and game wardens monitor the radio waves and will write tickets if they catch you breaking the law.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe...you are right on.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
Wink,
In most states the use of radios is allowed but you can not use them to aid in the hunting. So, you can be hunting and ask your buddy where the hell he is located, but you cant tell him that there is a bug bull bedded down 300 yards in front of him! In Colorado many fish and game wardens monitor the radio waves and will write tickets if they catch you breaking the law.

Surely some kind of 'code' could overcome that?

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote