New
Find
Notify
Tools

water hose
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the past my water hoses had brass fittings--no problem disconnecting the hose. Current hose has aluminum fittings and when I tried to remove it, no luck even with pliers. Oiled it and waited till next day, bigger pliers still no luck. Haven't applied heat yet so don't know what that will bring. Guess if using aluminum fittings lube first might work but better yet avoid aluminum and get brass.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I learned this some time ago. When using hoses with cheap a$$ aluminum fittings never leave them connected to anything. Disconnect both ends after each use. My well water is very high in mineral content and Al fittings will 'weld' themselves in place in a day or two. You can buy some really nice brass replacements (McMaster) but they will cost about as much as the hose.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same thing here. So solid that I started to break apart the fittings and they still wouldn't give. "Weld" is a proper description.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. Those aluminum fittings are a mess. First time you screw one on coat the threads literally with antisieze if you ever want to get it off.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote