New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Harris Bipods"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
These pieces of equipment are fantastically made at a very affordable price compared to any of the misurp bipods out there. In particular the "S" models (swivel/cant). I have an S/L model on my .308 scout rifle. They are easily installed
in just about a minute or less and come off just as fast. They come in several different telescoping heights, from short for benchrest shooting, prone position, sitting on your duff or kneeling.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A+++ or 5 stars. I have 2...................OTTO

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does the use of the bipod affect point of impact compared to shooting off of sandbags or freehand?

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, I find that depends a lot on what the bipod legs are resting on. Hard surfaces which don't give, like concrete, produce some bounce and can mess up the point of impact and the groups. This is worse with harder-recoiling rifles. On a softer surface the bipod works pretty well and can produce excellent groups. There's actually some technique required to get the most from a bipod equipped rifle. I sometimes varmint shoot with one, but I prefer to just rest the rifle on a soft day-pack, that seems to produce more consistent accuracy for me.

I agree that the Harris bipod is a decent quality tool that does as advertised. Guy

[ 09-18-2002, 22:04: Message edited by: m700 ]

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought my first Harris bipod about 30 years ago for my Remington Varmint Special in .243 and found they really haven't changed a great product in all these years.

Posts: 14 | Location: North Babylon, NY, U.S.A. | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone purchased the 13.5"-27" swivel model? I'm wondering if the 13.5" in the prone position is too high to comfortably shoot on level ground. I'm 6'3" tall, so if the prone height isn't that bad, the extra 2" in the sitting position would be nice.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the 13.5-27" S models. I'm 6'2" and find it too high for me to comfortably shoot prone from my mat. The extra height is definitely nice for sitting and kneeling to get over some of the foliage obstacles.

For prone shooting, I still prefer the LMS model.

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one and used it to great affect on Pronghorn in southwset Texas, but haven't used it since. I started to take it to Africa this year but glad I didn't.

My only objection to them really is that they mess up the outline (beauty) of a rifle. They are certainly functional.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
I use mine on the roebuckshunt in sweden when I know I can have long distance shots. I brought it to rsa but i didn't use it.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
On a heavy varmint rifle they are nice. I tried one on mine but went back to the marksmans sling. The rifle will not group as well as it will from a rest.

The marksmans sling is very good if your practiced with them.

I wonder if a soft cushion between the pod base and the stock might give better results. I just had a piece of felt as a spacer.