New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW Caldwell competition bench rest
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought one last week (around $150 or $115 if you have an ffl...from midway) and for the money (it ain't a fud) it is a great rest. it raises a few inches higher than the normal delux "rock" and when used with the higher magnum rear bag is great for a tall guy like me!
2-down points. The water bubble level is junk (will NOT sit flat), and the bag it comes with is also junk. But slap another rest on it, more designed for your stock, and it is a nice little rest that is heavy, solid and tight.

CheapGunParts.Com
The ONLY on-line store to specialize in Ruger 10/22 upgrades! And home of the Yellow Jacket Bolt Buffer!

Posts: 55 | Location: Mobile Alabama | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Bald Eagle rest which is similar to the Caldwell. For the price difference, I am not sure that I would go with the Bald Eagle again.

NRA Life Member
NRA Charter Member Golden Eagles

Posts: 896 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger22com:
I bought one last week (around $150 or $115 if you have an ffl...from midway) and for the money (it ain't a fud) it is a great rest. it raises a few inches higher than the normal delux "rock" and when used with the higher magnum rear bag is great for a tall guy like me!
2-down points. The water bubble level is junk (will NOT sit flat), and the bag it comes with is also junk. But slap another rest on it, more designed for your stock, and it is a nice little rest that is heavy, solid and tight.

I agree, I bought one for my new HS-50 and it's way too tall. I put a tall bag (front rest bag) ON a rear bag and I still had to lift the rear of the gun. This is my first rest but the side to side adjustment seems poorly engineered, the front stop is too high and not adjustable front to rear. I don't have a problem with the bag, but I had to take sand out to make it work like I wanted it to. I was hoping to get a nice tool, but it's going to take a lot of work to make it happen. More info as the project progresses:

I'm going to a 1000yd shoot (my first) in August so I'll report after that.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Well I shot this rest quite a bit last week and I do not like it. The side to side movement is just garbage and it's going to take a lot to reengineer it. I may put some sort of cross slide vice on it and go from there. Everything loosens up too quick too. (I was shooting the 50 Roll Eyes) anyway, pictures available as work progresses.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These comments are just what I need as I was about to order one from Midway. Thanks!!

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
which one is junk the bald eagle or the caldwell?