Tools

Imperial Whitetail
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted
Has anyone tried this line?
http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/products/samples.html

I have an area that I would like to plant but have no idea if this stuff is worth the time or money.

Thank you in advance
Turtle [Cool]

Posts: 1115 | Location: SE PA | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
<ky hunter>
posted
have used imperial clover twice. only turkey seemed to go wild over it. deer didnt eat it till hunting season was over. i wonder about it myself.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My understanding about Clover, is that is will be a good suppliment for Does/Fawns in the spring/summer and also eaten in late winter after all the crops and mast is all gone. I don't think it is a primary hunting season attractant unless that is the only food plot in the deep woods.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply guys...
I understand it should be used for spring and summer planting so the deer get those big ass horns everyone wants. I have seen the no-plow plots but never see deer eating it... [Roll Eyes] I'm going to try it and I'll report back on results. [Wink]
Turtle [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well yes. Now I've seen it. That variety does not smoke worth a toot kind sir. [Wink]

On a more serious note, I've done food plots until I'm blue in the face, and have very mixed emotions about the whole concept. Not that I'm going to bore you with all of them. Your geography is a long way from mine and I assume my experience would be of little sway, however...

Clovers provide excellent forage for turkey and deer. Turkey all season, deer in the spring. So so for no till.
Vetch is good for no till and deer will, you know, bring shopping carts, discount coupons etc.
If you can find a variety that reseeds you're in fat city.
Winter rye is cheap, hardy and the deer like it. It's a no-till no no. Plant twice as heavy as recommended.
Oats are good if your location permits it. Must till. Turkey and deer.
Austrian winter peas are great no-till and sometimes repeat offenders. Survive heavy browsing.

For the most part you may put the rest of it where the sun has never shown. I do not like the mixes and such from the people who prey on deer hunters. I'M at the top of the food chain [Smile] . Ever hear of farmers complaining about deer in their fields? Tip of the Day. Plant what they plant in your local area. Buy it from the local agribusiness supply place very cheaply, then buy another box of ammo to shoot 'the raiders of the lost food plot'.

It's not the speed, it's the sudden stop that hurts. [Eek!]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted Hide Post
DigitalDan

I case you have not noticed.... I do farm some fields and they do not come in fast enough for deer in the spring. I have clover but it doesn't kick in untill late spring. I need something that will start lets say in March [Eek!] Than I can work on April June and July.
What parts are you from ?? North South East West of non-american origin?

Turtle [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 4 acre hay field in orchard grass and red clover. The deer eat in this field all year round. Just tonite a nice buck and 5 doe were feeding in it. The buck had more on his mind than feeding ,though. Red clover is a top choice of Charles Alshiemer for deer forage.Deer eat and need a wide variety of food. I'm sure my field is just one of their many stopping off spots for a brunch. BB,you definitely want something that is drought tolerant for the sandy soil that you have in Delaware.If the soil is acidic,you want to add plenty of limestone. That will increase growth and up the nutrient value of what ever you plant.Late summer/early fall is a good time to plant.Gives a head start in the spring.If you plant in the spring, do it as early as you can.Some of the Vetches are good deer attractors.Very drought tolerant and grow on poor quality soil. Honeysucle,they love that stuff.Did you do a search on the NET for seed companies? There is a ton of info on what and how to. I have a friend who lives near Dagsboro and he has trouble getting the seeds he wants for his food plots.Here in SE PA there is much available, so on my saltwater fishing trips to DE, I drop off what he needs.Good luck.

Posts: 49 | Location: York , PA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BBTurtle,

Souteast Ga at the moment. I'm thinkin' you might want to investigate vetches for your area. Quite a large variety, some far more tolerant of cold than others. Some types will not grow down here in the tropics at all. [Big Grin] Perhaps American Joint Vetch. Another avenue would be clovers but again our latitudes differences will flavor the type. I like Crimson Clover down here. My experience with clovers is that it supports the does and fawns in the spring which is a good thing for mgmt programs. If you can grow alfalfa in your neighborhood that would be my number one choice. Winter/spring production, survives browsing and it's good for the soil. Judging by the persistant presence of deer in alfalfa down here it's a winner. Luck....

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote