New
Find
Notify
Tools

Properties of Sympatex
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know what Sympatex is like for hunting?

I am told it is like Goretex.

The Background:

I have found some Royal Norwegian Army camouflage pattern jackets made of this stuff. The colours / patterns are very good for the part of the Scottish Highlands I stalk in. Big, light green and mid brown splotches, which really do help break up your outline.

I need a jacket made of material (layers) which is waterproof, breatheable, quiet and tear resistant.

I have been told Sympatex is fairly quiet, but my experience of Goretex is it makes scratchy sounds when you crawl over dry heather. Also, Goretex has an affinity for barbed wire and sharp rocks - it finds them no matter how careful you are. Just like flammable materials and an ignition source.

Waterproof, breathable and windproof properties are a must in a suitable jacket. It is strange, the ground is like a sponge, you can go paddling in small pools of water yet the heather is dry! But at least there are no midges at this time of year!

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of fleece hunting pants with a Sympatex membrane and polyester lining. They seem as warm as Woolrich Malone pants but are more windproof and have never soaked through the knees or seat. Because of the fleece they are very quiet but will pick up some burrs. It sounds like your concern is less with the waterproof membrane than the shell material. Any weave of nylon usually found on general or backpacking outdoor gear is generally going to be noisy, while fleece and some other low noise fabrics are usually found on raingear designed for bowhunting.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote