The Accurate Reloading Forums
EBAY/PayPal

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7421043/m/3101040802

03 February 2015, 19:43
carpetman1
EBAY/PayPal
A recent EBAY purchase arrived damaged. Both EBAY and Pay Pal were right on top of things. When things aren't right there is a place to click onto. You correspond with seller through them. This alerts the seller that there is a problem if not fixed will become a dispute. Seller offered a whopping 15% discount. I replied that I would return it as 85% of purchase price for damaged goods was not suitable. Seller responded that the 15% was a courtesy and I needed to take it up with USPS--the carrier. Me take it up? His battle not mine. PayPal and EBAY rules are that seller pays return shipping. I went to the post office to mail it and cheapest shipping rate was over double what the seller had paid. I guess they get a commercial rate. Lady at the post office said to get that rate have seller provide a postage paid shipping label. Through EBAY I requested the label. No word from seller. So I opened DISPUTE. Described what was happening. Few hours later received word the dispute had been ruled in my favor and my account fully credited. I still have the item and will gladly return it if seller provides the shipping label. I was very pleased with EBAY and Pay Pal. The process was easier than describing it.
03 February 2015, 22:51
conifer
eBay/Paypal not always helpful. I sold and shipped watch. Buyer reported watch did not work (a lie), and Paypal paid him....with my money. He returned watch (working perfectly) with matching steel band removed and replaced with cheap cloth band. Paypal refused to help.
19 February 2015, 21:13
Stokes
I was recently extorted on eBay over feedback. Basically, the buyer said that if I didn't take a return on the product (which she admitted worked fine, just she has decided to buy a newer model) that she would dispute the charges. I told her to dispute the charges then...

So, we fought thru eBay, and they ruled in my favor. But, she left me negative feedback, saying I sold her broken items and wouldn't allow a return. This, was obviously a lie, and obviously trying to extort a return out of me in return for not leaving me bad feedback. But, after 90 minutes on the phone yesterday with six different employees at eBay, they have decided that her feedback will stand. Feedback isn't about the factual matters in the case, but about how the buyer 'felt' about the transaction. The buyer obviously feels that extortion and lying are OK. I owe them a few hundred bucks in seller fees. I told them that since they love extortion so much, they needed to remove the feedback or I'm not going to pay them.

They don't care. They just said they'll turn me over to collections. I guess I'll just have to fight them thru collections.
23 February 2015, 21:51
Doubless
Why am I not surprised?

I will NOT use Paypal. Period. Besides the fact they are anti-gun and owned by anti-gun ebay, years ago someone hacked my PayPal account and tried to wire $1100 offshore, using my account to fund the transfer. It was caught and the transfer did not happen, but I immediately closed my account. I don't trust them as far as I can throw a full-grown Hereford bull.

In my mind, if you use PayPal you give tacit approval to their anti-gun stance. I won't do it.
26 February 2015, 10:31
carpetman1
Anti gun? Lets see they sell rifle scopes, gun parts, gun holsters and about everything except guns. Does your service station sell guns? Must be anti gun, probably same with your dentist,doctor, plumber etc.
28 February 2015, 00:44
jdollar
rotflmo tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…
02 March 2015, 04:40
jimatcat
I don't have a problem with ebay, paypal, gunbroker, or any of the internet sales sites... any problem I've ever had has been swiftly taken care of... and the only mistakes were of my own making.... ive bought several items here on AR and paid with paypal... its quick, easy....I could go get a postal money order, but that would cost more than the 3% that paypal charges... otherwise I pay with a credit card......ive got 1 bank account that I keep a few dollars in just for paypal.. and I transferr $$ in it when I need to...I don't necessarily agree with any of the internet websites' politics, but I'm not gonna cut off my nose to spite my face...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis
02 March 2015, 09:23
carpetman1
I don't think it's internet politics, I think govt red tape. Just not worth the hassle. Watch the tv show Pawn Stars and they buy antique guns only. The owner said the paperwork of handling modern guns was not worth his while. Herters was a huge operation before the gun control act just about shut them down. I suspect EBAY and the likes are in that same boat.
02 April 2016, 01:28
Bob Nisbet
I buy from eBay folks but don't want to use them for selling because their comissions on low dollar items is unacceptable to me. (ex: Cost me $14 to sell a used generator that I sold for $104. A portion was a PayPal fee that I was charged.)

As for PayPal, I use it to make payments, but don't like it for receiving payments because they charge me a fee to get my money from them. With PayPal, I add a credit card for the payment, and as soon as the payment is done, I remove the credit card from PayPal. I too had somone in China attempt to fraudulently use my account.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.
02 April 2016, 02:05
Grenadier
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Anti gun? Lets see they sell rifle scopes, gun parts, gun holsters and about everything except guns. Does your service station sell guns? Must be anti gun, probably same with your dentist,doctor, plumber etc.
They used to allow the buying and selling of firearms and ammunition. They changed their policy in 1998 or 1999 and Gunbroker, AuctionArms, and some now defunct websites came in to take their place. The forbid the selling of firearms, ammunition, most parts, and components. The never banned optics, things like choke tubes, or holsters but if you had a picture that included a firearm then your auction would be taken down.

A few years ago they must have figured out how much revenue they were losing and they started allowing some of the previously banned items again. You can now buy and sell barrels, AR uppers, bullets, and almost every part but you still have to be careful if you show a firearm in your listing or they're liable to freeze your funds and ban you.

PayPal and eBay joined together several years back. They've leveraged the strength of eBay to try to force you into using PayPal ever since. They will go to great lengths to get you to "link" your checking account for payments. If that doesn't work they still try to manipulate you into revealing your checking account numbers for "validation" or "verification". If you sell something on eBay and it gets paid with PayPal they will still withhold funds from you till long after the purchaser receives the item. Sometimes they go too far. They have been sued many times and at least one Class Action settlement is currently underway because of their abuses.

Do I use them? Yes, when I can't find what I need anywhere else. Every couple of years I will sell something there but when I do I always find myself quickly reminded of why I don't do it more often.

04 April 2016, 09:14
Doubless
I guess ignorance is bliss, and Carpet Ray continues to show his with virtually every post... there was a time when ebay allowed projectiles, triggers, cylinders, magazines, etc. Well, guess what, folks? Not now... and since PayPal is owned by ebay, what the heck?

This crap started when it was determined that the VT shooter bought the high capacity magazines he used on ebay. That was the beginning of the end.

Like I said: ignorance is bliss. There are those that don't understand because they don't research anything. And the only thing worse than not knowing is insulting others who DO know.
05 April 2016, 06:46
Gatogordo
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
I guess ignorance is bliss, and Carpet Ray continues to show his with virtually every post... there was a time when ebay allowed projectiles, triggers, cylinders, magazines, etc. Well, guess what, folks? Not now... and since PayPal is owned by ebay, what the heck?

This crap started when it was determined that the VT shooter bought the high capacity magazines he used on ebay. That was the beginning of the end.

Like I said: ignorance is bliss. There are those that don't understand because they don't research anything. And the only thing worse than not knowing is insulting others who DO know.

To bring this up to date, Ebay no longer owns Paypal, they split up late last year. Now they are two separate companies, but they do have an ongoing business relationship for 5 years as part of Ebay spin off of Paypal. Apparently last year Paypal made about $419 million on revenues of $8 Billion.

At any rate, I find Paypal to be great for many transactions, mostly those of smaller dollar amounts, since the $.29 + 2.9% cost adds up on larger amounts. OTOH, it guarantees the payer and in some cases that is not inconsequential.

One of my pet peeves is the liars and thieves, several of which frequent AR who ask for payment as a "gift, family" thus robbing Paypal of it's due for facilitating the transaction. I used to ignore them but now I just pay the fees if I want it and go on to the next deal.

In addition, sending the payment as a "gift" leaves the sender with no fallback if the deal goes bad. Happens quite often with knife deals. Lots of discussion about it on Blade Forums.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.
11 April 2016, 21:29
carpetman1
Ol Doubless must be related to Ted Cruz--lying Ted. Go back through his posts and look how many times he "claims" to have me on ignore, but responds to my every post. Claims he doesn't read my posts, just knows what I say. What a liar. I stand by my remarks, how can you call someone anti gun that sells reloading equipment, rifle scopes, gun parts etc?
13 April 2016, 10:30
carpetman1
Notice Lying Ted better known as Doubless says EBAY doesn't have triggers and magazines. Well take a look for yourself, you can buy triggers and you can buy magazines, I didn't bother looking to see if the other things he listed were still sold there. This guy is an idiot.