Find
Notify
Tools

Sinclair Chamber Length Gage Insert
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greetings,

My intent for requesting this forum was to have an area where we could review products, old & new, and create an easy to use database for others searching out information. I sent this request to Saeed only yesterday and he responded immediately. Many thanks, Saeed.

And now....for a review!

The chamber length gage insert marketed by Sinclair International is a neat little widget that many precision hand loaders may find of interest.

Made from leaded steel, so as not to damage the chamber, this gage will easily tell you the length of your chamber from the bolt face to the end of the chamber neck.

Starting with an unprimed and sized case, trim it to .100" shorter than the SAAMI trim length, and chamfer the neck. Sinclair recommends drilling out the primer pocket to allow removal of the insert. (I have found it easy enough to remove it with a small allen wrench without drilling the pocket.)

Now insert the gage into the case and seat it to .100" longer than the SAAMI trim length. Now feed the set up into the chamber. (Do not feed from the magazine.) Close the bolt and then open it carefully. Use your fingers to keep the cartridge/insert from hitting the side of the action upon removal.

Now measure the device with your caliper and you have the chamber length for that particular rifle. Repeat this procedure a couple more times to make certain you are getting an accurate measurement.

In my 25/06, the measured length is 2.520". I now trim my cases to 2.500" when they reach 2.510". This allows me a slightly longer working case length for a bit of additional grip on those long seated match bullets when trying to closer to the lands. It also avoids unnecessary early trimming when it is not needed.

Available in most popular calibres, the gage insert sells for about $5 when purchased individually from Sinclair.

Regards,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted Hide Post
Holmes
Thank you for requesting this forrun. this sounds like a great tool. [Smile] I cannot find any information on this. Can you point me to a URL or something?
Turtle

Posts: 1115 | Location: SE PA | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really should have included a link with the review!

Here you go:

www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RESDTCL&type=store

Regards,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted Hide Post
Thanks Holmes!
Very cool! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I'm going to get my order in right away. This maybe what I need on my 280. It is a temperamental SOB. [Confused]
Thanks again and this forum has paid off quickly for me.
Turtle

Posts: 1115 | Location: SE PA | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote