Find
Notify
Tools

Titanium Gunworks L.E.D. Front Sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of THellURider
posted
As I started looking at my first ever African Safari in June of this year I decided it was time to pick up another barrel for my beloved Blaser R93. I found a .375 H&H barrel on the Sale board of Blaserpro.com which I quickly had a Briley Removable Brake installed on. I then made sure it shot well; and with one particular load shot a 3 shot group of less than 0.25 MOA at 100 yards! So, you ask where is this going? Well, the Blaser Barrels imported to the US are nearly impossible to get with Iron sights.

A dangerous game gun is a gun used to hunt and/or defend yourself from an animal that has the ability not just to kill you by accident, but often by choice. It is a vital part of any African hunter’s arsenal. Historically, the “minimum†dangerous game caliber has been the .375 Holland and Holland Magnum and goes up in a dizzying array of interesting cartridges (with sometimes even more interesting names). However, more than just the caliber sets a dangerous game rifle apart from their lesser brethren. A dangerous game gun needs to work anytime and every time. As we know optics can really save our bacon when it comes to placing that shot on a trophy but optics are decidedly in complete opposition to the K.I.S.S. principle. K.I.S.S. stands for Keep It Simple Stupid and is a principle that I try to adhere to as often as possible even if my exuberance for new toys sometimes overrides this wisdom.

Wanting a true “Dangerous Game†gun I went on the hunt for Iron Sights. Blaser, of course, makes Irons that work well, and are truly K.I.S.S. They are black sights with little to make them stand out against the black hide of my intended quarry, the legendary Cape Buffalo. I feel, however, that there is an area of “Improved K.I.S.S.†that you can achieve if you are thoughtful of your choices. My research led me to the L.E.D. front sight designed by and made by Titanium Gunworks of Germany. These sights are distributed in the United States by Heritage Arms.

The sights themselves are simple and effective by design. The post is capped with a red light emitting diode (L.E.D.) that is activated by twisting a small knob on the lower portion of the front post that also serves as the access point for insertion of a battery into the sight. there will also be a green LED version available soon. L.E.D.’s are known for their complementary properties of consistent light output, and low power draw. Thus, while I haven’t proven it myself yet, you could probably leave this sight on for over a year and not worry about it. The nice part is you can, of course, use the front sight without the L.E.D. on. The construction is solid polymer.

I cannot wait to get this installed on my gun. If your Blaser Barrel already had a front sight on it, this is user installable. However, if not the barrel will need to be tapped etc requiring a professional gunsmiths with the required tools and expertise.

Heritage Arms
Titanium Gunworks

More updates to follow…

Thanks Klaus!

This picture was taken from approximately 30 inches (66 cm) away. There's a little bit of glare off of my table.

~Marcus

Posts: 47 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marcus

I have not shot one of those LED sights but I have handled and eyeballed them a few times at Heritage Arms.

They look to be very well made and should work great.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your information. I'm considering to buy one these LED sights and would be very interested to hear how they work under field conditions, i.e. during a DG hunt. Please give us feed back.
Hans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the meantime I have bought one of these LED sights and installed it on the .375 H&H barrel of my Blaser R93.

The installation was very easy. I just followed the instructions that come with the LED sight.

In order to sight in the rifle with the new front sight I tried the LED during a session on my local shooting range. As expected the sights withstood the recoil without any problems.

Next I used the rifle in the dark. The little LED is very visible but not so bright that it would eclipse the target. When the LED light just sits in the U-notch of the rear sight, the rifle is properly aligned.

As long as you can still see your target (I tried this with a buffalo target while the moon was shining) there is no problem hitting the target in the right place.

To sum it up: if you want to use your open sights in the dark or under bad light conditions the Titanium Works LED sight is a very useful and practical tool.

Hans

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures of them:

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The links don't appear to work and a web search doesn't come up with anything useful. Has someone got a current link?

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote