Find
Notify
Tools

Horse meat
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
I noted the thread on eating horse on the Recipe site. What is preferred? Mare, Gelding or Stallion?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not much difference if it is made into hamburger, salami, sausage, or jerky and the fat has all been cut off.

For steaks and roasts we prefer 2-3 year old mares or geldings. Of course, all in good condition. Again, fat is cut off.

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer Zebra, in Africa.

Posts: 10135 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
HAd it in Sweden and it was quite good. Ate it every morning with little Pita bread with cheese and peppers. It was smoked and I have no idea of it's sex...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid I use to buy it in frozen 10# blocks at the pet store to feed my tegu lizard, cheaper than hamburger at the time. Never thought to eat any myself.
C.G.B.

posted Hide Post
I look forward to sfilaci di cavallo when I visit Italy later this year.

The very best mortadella I ever ate was made with horsemeat.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cheshire
posted Hide Post
Man I am going to start selling Trophy Mustang hunts here on the Red Desert. 2 for 10 bucks and 5 for $20. Guaranteed Boone and Crockett Mustangs. No Fences for over a hundred miles.
100% non-fat.

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, hearing the old ones wail, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters, while riding his gelding.”
Genghis Khan

Posts: 174 | Location: Saratoga, Wyoming | Registered: 28 March 2010Reply With Quote