Find
Notify
Tools

Walker Game Ears
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted
I have a hearing loss in both my ears. The right is worse than the left. I want to do something before elk season this fall. I have read a lot about the Walker game ear. I would prefer to buy just one and put it in my good ear. Any one have any experience with them?? Also any suggestions.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with game ear. If they work like the good electronic ear muffs then you would increase what you can hear out of the right ear (bad ear). My peltors are adjustable so that I could set the right or left higher (like hearing aid) to compensate for existing hearing damage.

If I had the money I am pretty sure I would get good electronic ear plugs as they work the same but feel they may be more practical for rain and with hats. But they were 4X the costs so I gave the muffs a try first.

HAve found my muffs practical although not ideal for hunting. But I am determined not to lose anymore hearing. I need it.

Good luck
robe

Posts: 143 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
Check out the Sportear by Harrisquest. They were selling at the NRA convention like hotcakes. I got a pair of the digitals (inside the ear canal) but have not had a chance to use them hunting. Did some zeroing and they worked fine. I have been wearing them kind of like hearing aids and they are pretty comfotable. My buddy got one and he really likes it. He has only one good ear. I am sure there are some ear experts on here who can give more advice. Good luck in your search.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
know your problem - got the same one - did it with a game ear. It works OK but you pick up alot of other sounds too. like wind etc. also they don't really provide much protection again gunshot noise. About like putting a wad of TP in the ear

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
I have the Walker Game Ear Muffs and am very pleased with them. I have hearing loss and don't want to lose anymore so I put these on before getting out of my vehicle at the range and leave them on. They provide almost as much noise reduction as regular muffs (although sometimes I'll switch to those during a ceasefire) and allow me to carry on a conversation with people on the range. I also wear them while hunting to prevent hearing loss.

As far as their amplification of sound, I don't find that very useful while hunting. They make wind noise or highway sounds seem weird and although they can make a nearby sound loud, you're not going to hear a deer breaking a twig out at 75 yards, or anything. But they would extremely useful where you are hunting with a guide and needed to hear him while keeping your ears protected from the coming shot.

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have used mine this fall elk hunting and it is amazing the sounds I have been missing, the elk are still bugling. Walking with it turned on is not as satisfying, very noisy and wind is alos a problem, when the wind comes up the game ear come off!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Elkman I have the game ear II it works great the only problem I have is for the life of me I hear like the bionick man but can't tell where the sound is comeing from. I have seen squirrels crunching leaves right in front of my stand and it sounded like it was somewhear else. I thought this would be the best tool ever for turkey hunting I cant use it for this at all because of the directional problem. They do greatly amplify and do cut off at the time you shoot.

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go see your ENT doctor and ask him about the 'soundscopes' hearing aid system.

They are actually molded to your own ear canal, greatly amplify high pitched sounds, and shut off for gunfire.

My hearing is horrible, and I had actually gone to just listening to my MP3 player while in the stand since I could never hear the deer anyway. Got a pair of these, and its absolutely unreal. I've heard deer walking in open fields 75 yards away! With both aids used, sound is directional, so no problem finding the source.

Will set you back $500- 700 bucks for the pair, though... but for me it was more than worth it.

Posts: 165 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of cheaper types than walkers and the first thing I noticed is my dogs would notice when I turned them on. Maybe it was just the quality of mine but I have concerns game can hear these things

Posts: 129 | Location: Darrington Washington | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have lost about 50% of my hearing in both ears.About 5 yrs ago I bought two Walker Game ears 2.It was the best hunting investment I have made.I even use them for my 22`s.It almost seems like some of my hearing is restoring.Another hearing robber is any type of 4 or two cycle engine.Weed wacker ,Chainsaw etc.I always wear hearing protection. OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote