New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballistic software/programs
 Login/Join

<Geezer>
posted
All - Am semi-interested in a ballistics/loads log/etc.. program for my 'puter. Anybody have any experience/knowledge of any and all programs? Any help is mucho appreciated.

<bigbelly>
posted
I use programs from lee,oehler and hornady.As far as it goes I seem to use oehler`s the most.any of them work fine but oehler will let you print everything the easiest.hornady is just a load program,and lee`s will give charts and let you database your loads and firearms.good luck.if you don`t need fancy graph`s and super accurate (program works with the personal ballistics lab on the oehler mod. 43 chrono)velocity vs bullet path info etc,go with lee`s.for under $20 it works quite well.

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
You should take a look at the freeware program PointBlank. It has all the features that you mention.

It's the program that I use.

You can download it here, PointBlank , and give it a try.

Take Care,

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want by far the best, check out http://www.aement.com/ Blows all the rest away and worth the price just for their data base.

[ 10-31-2002, 02:43: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually depends on your OS, but Pejsa's is the best, simplest and most comprehensive, IMHO.

Basic in the sense that you input data and it gives drop chart w/ remaing energy etc. and a trajectory graph.

Something like $20 �, last I knew. Comes with a hardcover treatise that I STILL can't figure out since it has all the math necessary to proof the formulas he uses in the software.

For example:  -

which computes a bullet's time of flight in terms of velocity

And then there's calculating flight time in terms of distance (cause sometimes you don't know the velocity at a selected distance�

thusly
 -

[ 10-31-2002, 09:07: Message edited by: Sysephus ]

<bigbelly>
posted
Thanks Steve,I tried point blank and it works great,wish I`d have found it before buying all the others.

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
No Problem. Just be careful with the Swift A-frame and Berger bullet numbers. I gave those to Dallan [Wink] .

Take Care,

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of oneills
posted Hide Post
I agree with Steve, Point Blank will do everything the average reloader needs and then some.

Posts: 73 | Location: Vic, Australia | Registered: 19 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Chuck66>
posted
I use Point Blank as well and have actually tested the data at distance in the feild and I find that it is more accurate than other programs that I have seen.
Its FREE and it has a nice printout.

Chuck T

one of us
posted Hide Post
check out Nosler & Barnes, both good guides.

Posts: 251 | Location: pa | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like my QuickLoad/QuickTarget program. Not cheap though.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob257:
I really like my QuickLoad/QuickTarget program. Not cheap though.<br /><br />Bob257

I got QuickLOAD a few months ago. It is a phenomenal program. It comes with an external ballistics program called QuickTARGET. Between the two there is very little that can't be done to scope out load options before heading to the bench. Evaluation of the effect of parametric changes, like seating depth, brass volume, and temperature in addition to the standard changing of bullets and powder make possible a remarkably effective way to zero in on the two or three options worth trying.

Once a load is designed, and compared with all the available loading manuals, it is still necessary to work up the load evaluating each step. The program has been a huge help to me.

There is a very good review of QuickLOAD on 6mmbr.com.

Fitch

Posts: 153 | Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With Quote