New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman Electronic Trigger Pull Gauge
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What a great tool! And even I can use it effectively....with practice!

Seriously, this device is well designed and allows one to make multiple pulls, (10), and then retrieve an average weight.

The trigger hook locks into the gauge body in four different positions to clear any firearm stock. The hook features a roller at the trigger contact.

The tool sounds an audible "beep" after pressing the ready button so you know it is ready to record.

It will measure trigger pull from 1 ounce to 12 pounds. Sensitivity is +- .1 oz in the 0-5 pound range. The Lyman gauge also displays metric figures by simply pressing a different button. The tool shuts off after three minutes of non-use to conserve the battery.

Power is via a standard 9 volt alkaline battery. The gauge is supplied with a nice little cordura storage pouch.

While easy to use, it does require some practice like any trigger pull gauge. I found it easy to pull past the break point and, on triggers with very little over travel, get a false high reading because I pulled against a "dead" trigger. After working with it for a while I started getting good consistent readings. Hold the gauge in the same manner each time you pull and try to duplicate the angle that your finger would normally take. It is best to have the firearm secured in an appropriate vise. Also, make sure you place the roller in the same location of the trigger each time. The more consistent your technique is, the more accurate and consistent the readings will be.

When I took the gauge to the range with me once, everyone had such a good time with it I was afraid I may never see it again! I've never seen a tool get passed around as much as that little gizmo did.

The Lyman gauge is selling for about $50 at from most popular suppliers.

Here is a link to their web site. You will find the gauge in the "tools" section.

www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/index.htm

Regards,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Holmes. I've been thinking of getting one of these (my gadget addiction, you know) and your review just helped me decide. Thanks - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I've been to two goat ropings and a county fair and I never heard of such a thing! [Eek!]
What'll they think of next.

Dan, if they are having a two for one sale when you order yours, could I have the free one? [Big Grin]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote