New
Find
Notify
Tools

gas or electric clothes dryer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Might need a new clothes dryer. Never had a gas one. I do have gas water heater and should be simple to tee into line for a dryer. Was wondering how others with experience with both types compare them. I'm more interested in the results than the economy. Pretty sure gas is a little cheaper to operate.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A bit OT , washing will not kill ticks but a dryer will .Give it 10-15 mnutes at high temp.

Dryers are lots of high tech ,mostly are one size 7.4 CU/FT
Long term electric usually less effecient depending on the electric vs gas prices.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Electric is easier on your clothes...less heat. Doesn't yellow whites. Much cheaper for repairs.

I have gas in my place but always use electric dryers.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have always used gas, 43 years. I moved into a different home 5 years ago. Only has electric. Both my wife and I want our gas stove and gas dryers back.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
I'd go with gas. Faster drying and cheaper to operate. I don't currently have gas at this house, but gas company said they would run it for around $12,000. At my age, I don't have enough time left for the payback, or they would be laying pipe tomorrow.

John

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you live in TX I would advise you to research an electric/attic hybrid. Run a conduit to the attic and run the 140 degree air into the dryer. Electric supplement in the winter.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote