New
Find
Notify
Tools

tIGER fISHING THE ZAMBESI
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am headed to zimbabwe this August for Buff and Sable. I will be spending 2-3 days fishing for Tiger fish at the end od August. Can anyone tell me if they have fished at that time of year and was the fishing productive. A first for me , so any info is welcomed.Thanks Tony

Posts: 27 | Location: MASSACUSETTS | Registered: 12 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was hunting in the Zambezi Valley in June and insisted we spend a day fishing for tiger fish. We had one strike in half a day and no hook up. My PH said fishing doesn't get good till the end of August when the water warms up. He is an avid fisherman and knows his stuff so I think you are going to hit it about right!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LJS,
I plan to fish the lower Zambezi, the last 80 miles or so, in early Sept. Do you know anything about it?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tigerfishing is best very late aug through nov, and then again march through early may. While a lot of baits work I've found shad raps in silver/blue with a red throat, or any lure in a like color scheme to work best. Staright silver, like a spot tail shad finish works well, too, but add a red throat and it works even better. If you bring baits switch the wimpy freshwater hooks to xtra strong saltwater variety and up the size by one. (Instead of size four trbles change to size two. And, if you really want to land one, make sure those hooks are extra sharp. Using a braided line is also a big help to penetrate those bony-mouthed fish. It's a real hoot, these things fight.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tonyman:
The camp where we were hunting was about 1/2 way between the falls and the lake. I was told the best way to fish was with live bait. My PH went down to the river with a small rod and worms and caught some small fish about 6" long which we used for bait. He was a great believer in circle hooks and a short titanium leader. Good luck!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Tiger fishing should just be starting up in late August,September.
Your guide should have any gear you will need and know the local techniques.
What part of the Zambezi will you be fishing?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote