Find
Notify
Tools

Brazil oddities
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted
Here's some picture of some of the less known fish in the Amazon basin. These were taken on the Rio Travessao River in extreme northern Brazil, near the Guyana and Suriname borders. The area is called the "Guyana Shield."

Pacu, a vegetarian fish. teeth look very much like a human mouth.

Sorubim Catfish. Perhaps the most beautiful fish in these waters.

Here's a better picture of the Piraiba. They don't eat these things because it is such an incredible resource. They're not endanger or rare, just precious.

Interesting fact; when you are battling these things, the piranha take bites out of them on the way up. The piranha here get up to 10# so a large bite can be taken.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3352 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Cool stuff!

Look forward to hearing the report from your upcoming trip.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve! A fishing trip down there has been on my bucket list for some time.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Steve,
I'm getting interested in fishing the Amazon region. Seems you are either fishing exclusively for peacock bass with high numbers, or other areas for a variety and few peacocks.

What is you recommendation for a couples first trip and with whom?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
Steve,
I'm getting interested in fishing the Amazon region. Seems you are either fishing exclusively for peacock bass with high numbers, or other areas for a variety and few peacocks.

What is you recommendation for a couples first trip and with whom?

Hi Scott,
You are correct in your analysis. I leave Thursday for two separate trips.

The First is a week on the "Blackwater Explorer" a traditional Amazon banana boat. It sleeps 10 comfortably in private air condition rooms, shower toilet en suite. It is primarily a Peacock (Cichla Temensis) trip. High daily fish counts with fish up to 24-25 pounds. Last trip I was 30-35 fish daily.

The second trip is called an exploratory, variety species trip. We fish a river called the Rio Travessao. It is extreme northern Brazil right up near Guyana and Suriname. Here, you catch a different, more colorful species of Peacock. They only get up to about 12-13 pounds. I like this trip much more. We tent camp on a sand bar under tree's (No Bugs). The other species that are the draw for me are Giant catfish. Piraiba up to 300-350#, Redtails' 100#, Jau 200#, Sorubim 40#, Jundia 30#, Giant Piranha 10-12#, Payara 40#, Triarao20# and others I have forgotten.

Both trips, you fish from nice 14 foot aluminum boats, all equipment is in good order. Guides on the boat trip are Brazilians. The guides on the Variety species trip are Amerindians.

I am trying to get a group together for next year about this time. There are several AR guys interested. If I can get 10, we get the whole boat and a small discount. More than 10 are OK, just don't get a private room on the boat.

I will most likely do both trips again next year. so if you're interested, let me know.

I use Acute Angling who will be in Las Vegas, Paul Reiss is the owner. Great company, great service.

This stuff gets in your blood like Africa.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3352 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great trip. Is the AR trip a guys trip or are spouses welcome? I know my wife would like the "Blackwater" trip, but the camp trip in the jungle may be a bit much.

I was really glad you use Paul Reiss. I went to every peacock fishing booth at DSC and Paul, with his Phd in Amazon fisheries, was by far the most knowledgable.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
Sounds like a great trip. Is the AR trip a guys trip or are spouses welcome? I know my wife would like the "Blackwater" trip, but the camp trip in the jungle may be a bit much.

I was really glad you use Paul Reiss. I went to every peacock fishing booth at DSC and Paul, with his Phd in Amazon fisheries, was by far the most knowledgable.

Yeah, Paul is the shit when it comes to Peacocks. he and I stayed up late every night talking about the Amazon, how it was formed and its fishes.

I spoke to Paul today, he will hold me a week open if we can get some committed people. At this point everyone other than me and one pal are just "interested"

The "AR" nature of the trip is somewhat informal. I just thought it would be nice to have the whole boat, most of us knowing one another at some level. And yes, your spouse would be welcome.

The boat trip is pretty easy, just the sun is the tough part. Thats coming from an Arizonan. It is just different. If we can get 10 we get the whole boat for 4,250 per. I have "loosely" 5, now 7 including you and you're wife.

Food is fabulous, and lots of it.

I'll do a full report when I return. My goals are

20# Peacock
100# Redtail Catfish
300# Piraiba Catfish

Formerly "Nganga"

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
If you get a minute, what do you mean about the sun being the tough part?

Best of luck on your trip. We'll talk seriously when you get back.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
FYI, $4,250 is his show special (DSC), whole boat or not.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The piranha here get up to 10# so a large bite can be taken.

Don't think I'd be squatting there. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote