With my French fishing buddy

With Captain Gautam

Release

Other GT

Wahoo

Dogtooth Tuna

Barracuda

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
That’s a damn nice GT!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GT are a blast to fish especially on 12 weight flies. South Africa has some wonderful GT waters along with Madagascar and Mozambique. Unfortunately, Mozambique and SA are no longer safe for fishermen.

Congratulations Mike. Hope it is not your last!

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
GT are a blast to fish especially on 12 weight flies. South Africa has some wonderful GT waters along with Madagascar and Mozambique. Unfortunately, Mozambique and SA are no longer safe for fishermen.

Congratulations Mike. Hope it is not your last!

https://i.imgur.com/Q9uTtnL.jpg

A big gt on a fly road would be very difficult.

My big one was caught on a Shimano Stella 10K with 65pount braid and 100 fluorocarbon leader. The rod was a Okuma 792 popping rod. This was my light set up for stick bait. The bait was a river to sea 168 with owner 4 hooks.

The drag was a near 60lb when she tore out a few hundred yards of line. Above 30lb drag it is near impossible to reel. At where the drag was set it is above the tolerance of the rod.

I will be fishing moz for gt and Madagascar in near future.

The best spot for big monster gt is actually Yemen. Scotta island. Can’t fish it now with the civil war.

Hope to be chasing gt for the next 10 years. Will need to lose weight and spend some gym time if I want to be able to hard core pop and jig.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Minor Nomad
posted Hide Post
Mike

Spectacular GT. Well Done.

They are a gritty, hard hitting opponent worthy of only the best tackle money can buy.

Catching 15kg plus GT’s on 7ft casting rods and spinning reels is an Olympic class contact sport. There is pain on both ends of the line and only the fittest survive.

Great Fun, but hold on tight!

I have had good success using River to Sea 230 Rover Stickbaits. At $25 a lure it becomes pretty expensive fishing when a big GT cuts you off when it heads for some coral outcrop. Once is one thing but over and over again is another.

Bevan

Posts: 49 | Location: Cairns QLD Australia | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome GT!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Great videos! GT + coral head vs 80lb braid= no contest!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Great videos! GT + coral head vs 80lb braid= no contest!

Dr. Dollar :

It was not a gt. Most likely a cow yellowtail or a monster wahoo.

It was off barren island but there was no coral. This was a clear drop to 200 meters.

When I went to get the rod, we were trolling with lose drag - the fish had set the hook. The captain tightened the drag. I did not realize it. I then tighten the drag. The fish fought for a while and then Just stopped. It was swimming towards the boat. Then it dived and snapped the line.

Was not a gt as they never quit pulling. This was likely a large yellowfin tuna cow.

Mike