Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Why I don't care for gar
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,
Just thought i would mention that the largest Sturgeon are found in the Fraser river here in BC. It is all catch and release now, but fish of 600 lbs are still hooked now and then.
Before the turn of the century when they first commercial fished them here they recorded fish of nearly a ton!
The Columbia river in Washington State also has very large Sturgeon.
On those "Gar" (Alligator?) Do you do best with Siamese cross or other short hair type? Or does a nice fuzzy Persian work like a woolly booger, with lots of hair to hide the hook in? Maybe just take the "chinese chicken burger" outta the mower, put it in a piece of pantyhose......YAAA "Pussyburger!" rig up yer treble and away ya go!

Posts: 203 | Location: Vancouver Island BC | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, I'm talking about gar. I am familiar with sturgeon and they get bigger that gar. I may be mistaken about this but the world record(IGFA) for the Alligator Gar is near the 279# mark if not over. There are a multitide of varieties of the damn things, most seldom get up over 3' or so and maybe 8-10#. Here in Yankeetown gar in the 6' range are not at all uncommon. It's at about that length that they start to bulk up a bit. When I run out of crats, the gars are gonna find themselves is shallow water on an outgoin tide. Got to go sharpen up some treble hooks.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote