New
Find
Notify
Tools

Halibut In Alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking of going up to AK for some halibut and/or salmon. I have fished extenstively in the interior for salmon, but never went after halibut.

My other plan this year would be to go the Nush or La Paz, Mexico for roosterfish, dorado, and perhaps a marlin if luck shines.

Any suggestions or comments?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AAZW,
lived in alaska for a time. I would recommend valdez,in later august. Silvers will be in then and the sound is pretty well protected from those pesky winds. Halibut is quite good, there, too.

Then again, ya could do the seward area for halibut, then take the ferry to Valdez and do both. Pretty neat trip actually, did that with the family three years ago.

As for the southern trip, did that two years ago. Cabo and La Paz. you can't go wrong there for what you want on the menu.

Heck man, write a few more stories and go to both.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
How many days of fishing are looking for, and do you want to spend any time site seeing etc?

I much prefer fishing salt water to fresh water, so highly recomend getting out after halibut, ling cod, rock fish and salmon.

If I was just looking to get in lots of good saltwater fishing I'd say Kodiak or Yakutat.

If you'd be flying into Anchorage and looking for locations on the road system, I'm kinda partial to Seward as it offers a good mix of halibut, rockfish and silver salmon from roughly mid July to mid August.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.

August is kinda booked. Any suggestion for June? Maybe I will just go back to the Nush in late Jun...

Not interested in the road system; used to live in AK, so I have done that.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
June is a very good king month along the kenai peninsula You can do both species in a variety of places, Soldotna, Ninilchik, Kasilof.

Ninilchik Charters is a very solid operation that I've used and highly recommend. They do both species.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go to Valdez as often as possible. I have a boat booked for 5 days at 250 a day. 18 foot with 50 HP 4 stroke. august 15-19..fishing for silvers and halibut and may charter on a large boat for a couple days for halibut out in the Gulf.
Check Fish Central in Valdez.
If you want the biggest halibut your best bet I think is June in Valdez. Going up then too..
Watson Lake

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
I just started lurking here in the fishing forum, heres some pics from June 7th 2010 (Ninilchik)

Capt. Mark Chuihuly, also hunted Moose in 2002 and Caribou in 1998 with him.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3342 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a long ways to go for PingPong paddles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
More smart aleck remarks by Busheler

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More insecurity bolstered(though wellfounded) by a Texan.

Lets swap Halibut pics.

Laffin'

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
More smart aleck remarks by Busheler

While you are Dreaming vividly,feel free to regale me with your Ping Pong Paddle Pursuits and don't be afeared to cite particulars.

If only for starters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Asshole....what show me your's and I'll show you mine?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3342 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nganga,

I'll play,but you'll need to do a whole lot better than Ping Pong Paddles.

Unless you were trying to be funny and I missed the humor attempt...then you REALLY are very much onto something.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pardon my not having a Ping Pong Paddle to offer in exchange.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep tryin junior, I'll save the best for last

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I needn't "try",though I'll happily reflect at your expense.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

Good effort Busheler

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
I think both of these idiots have now been flushed, what a couple of assholes. I read where Busheler had over 300 posts in one day. Somebody needs to get a life.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Whirlwind

What's the particulars on that fish.? That sucker looks HUGE....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

Good effort Busheler

Top it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice fish Busheler..... tu2

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i wonder why the guy in whirlwind's post looks like the same guy as the guy in trytotopit's post? could they be one and the same? hell, no matter how hard Saeed tries, Bushmonkey just keeps popping up.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dollar,

Because, Busheler=Whirlwind=TryToTopIt.

Thats why.

Formerly "Nganga"

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Nice fish but I feel sorry for the wife and kids in the photo. The expression on their faces tells you all you need to know about life with Bushbaby.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
they kind of look like he just shot the family dog and they wonder if they are next.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Well, since some of you seem to thinkn that size is EVERYTHING, I'll relate the advice of a friend who guides for halibut. He told me his very favorite halibut to EAT are those that weigh between 4-10 pounds. He insists they are more tender and flavorful than anything bigger.

And, I guarantee you he's gaffed, and caught, many hundreds of halibut. Eaten a couple as well.

Posts: 3833 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
Well, since some of you seem to thinkn that size is EVERYTHING, I'll relate the advice of a friend who guides for halibut. He told me his very favorite halibut to EAT are those that weigh between 4-10 pounds. He insists they are more tender and flavorful than anything bigger.

And, I guarantee you he's gaffed, and caught, many hundreds of halibut. Eaten a couple as well.

I'm sorry, but anybody that claims 4-10# halibut are the best eating, is just trying to justify not being able to get clients onto decent size fish. There might be some argument on fish over 100# being a bit tougher, but I've had enough halibut in different size ranges to call complete bunk on the 4-10# claim. I would advise that such advice is a good way to tell what boat not to go on.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll agree with Paul, we are eating 25-100 pound fish and there is little if any difference in taste, only the thickness makes them hard to BBQ properly, requires thinning down a bit sometimes.

Busheler is a commercial longliner.

Formerly "Nganga"

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:

I'm sorry, but anybody that claims 4-10# halibut are the best eating, is just trying to justify not being able to get clients onto decent size fish. There might be some argument on fish over 100# being a bit tougher, but I've had enough halibut in different size ranges to call complete bunk on the 4-10# claim. I would advise that such advice is a good way to tell what boat not to go on.

Plus 1 for the bigger sizes - turn the little guys and the really big sows loose! I don't know any guides that I have fished with that would or will let you keep a fish like that. And with a two fish daily limit, who would want to?
I kept and eaten halibut up to almost 200# and all I can say is "Pass the fish, please!"

[IMG] http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0091...nzforall/2921529794/ [/IMG]
Couple in the box, about 130# and 165# IIRC. Sorry I don't have better pictures available here.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote