THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FISHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Nature, Animals, Space And The Sea  Hop To Forums  Fishing    Narrow Barred Spanish Mackerel from the Rrocks

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Narrow Barred Spanish Mackerel from the Rrocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted
In preparation for my trip to Mafia Island the 1st week in February I decided that my stick bait rod will do duty during this morning's session on the rocks here in Saudi (fishing the Persian Gulf side)

Stick bait setup is as follows:

Rod - Black Hole Cape Cod 8,6N
Reel - Shimano Stella 14K loaded with 100lb JB Hollow, 80lb fisherman leader and 60lb bite trace.
Lure - Darkstar/ Heru Wahoo 80g stick bait

I have caught Spaniards the previous two weeks from the rocks weighing 8,5&10.2kg respectively.

I knew that there must be bigger fish around but would be more than happy to get a bend in the BH rod and hear the Stella scream.

05:55 still dark with the light just starting to change I made my 1st cast.

1 pull 2 pull Bang!!!

A Spaniard hit the stick bait and comes flying out of the water light is so bad I could just make him out.
The hooks did not set as he in typical Spaniard fasion hit the lure on the head.

Smiling knowing there are fish around I kept casting.

Probably 10 casts later one the 1st pull off the stick bait another fish comes out of the water looking like a Toma Hawk missile being launched by a submarine.

Again felt the hit an tought "bugger that one missed as well" till the fish turned and it was game on...

Straight sticking him to set the hook the Stella started screaming and the BH started bending.

Now I dont want to have a green fish around the rocks as I have floating booms to the left and right off me and if the fish goes under neath I will loose it.

So I let the fish run a bit. Fight it closer, came in to the right almost under neath the floating boom took some pressure off fish turned around for deeper water...

Came in again this time to the left and again heading for the boom. Again pressure off but by now the fight is over and I am able to guide the fish into the rocks.

Its low tide just past 6:00 with the exposed rocks being very very slippery I got down close enough to get the long boga grip into the mouth and the fight was over with me huffing and puffing... lol

Fish measured 145cm or 57 inches nose to fork of the tail and weighed 25kg or 55lb

With one more weekend left before Mafia I think I need to cast some more stick baits next weekend just to make sure I have everything under controll...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done ! Nice fish. dancing

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
http://youtu.be/9J9388qvhfQ

Here is the GoPro video.

Light quality is bad but I am sure you will get the idea what happened

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote