New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fishing from Houston TX
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gonna be in Houston on business the latter part of March. Would like to go out on the gulf fishing for a day. Any suggestions?

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you are looking "in shore" style head to Matagorda County, about 90 minutes south. Great reds and specs. The town of Matagorda is a quiet place with some guides, Palacious is a larger town, good restaurants, and more guides.

Off shore you'd be better off in the Galveston/Port Bolivar area.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
March is notoriously windy and I wouldn't place a big bet on being able to get offshore on any given day. It's also a bit early for the best offshore fishing unless you're willing to do an overnight trip. It's a long run (30-50 miles minimum) to bluewater here and its a slog if the chop is up.

Bay fishing would be a better bet. Late March can be very good for specks. Port O'Connor and Rockport are good places to go if you have a little extra time. Plan to spend the night down there and fish a full day before driving back to Houston. Its two hours to POC and 3 hours to Rockport. Matagorda/Palacios is about 1.5 hrs driving time. All of those places are Southwest of Houston between here and Corpus Christi.

Rockport
Lowell Odem
(361) 729-5564

Here's a link to guides in POC. I run my own boat out of of POC but I haven't fished with any of the guys listed.

http://www.texassaltwaterfishing.com/portoconnor/

I hope this helps.
Forrest

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote