Find
Notify
Tools

Lodge Recommendations Please
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
My wife and I are looking for a one week guided fishing trip at a nice lodge. We're open to either fresh or salt water, fly fishing prefered, but conventional fine for the salt.

Trip has to be taken between March and the end of June 2006. Max budget for everthing, including transportation and gratuity is $6,000.00 Right now we are considering the Green River below Flaming Gorge, the Henry's Fork in Idaho or the East Cape region of Baja. We're looking for "hot" fishing and trophy fish.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Gary Graham @ Baja on the Fly Link

Or Grant Hartman of Baja Anglers Link

PM me if you want further info.

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links OldGuy. I'm looking at Rancho Leonero. Maybe with http://www.thereelbaja.com as a fly fishing guide.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you will PM me your Phone # and a time to call, I will give you a recap of 20 years of fishing the Cabo/East Cape area of Baja Sur.

I haven't been since 2001, partly because I retired and don't have the income, but mainly because I won't put up with hassle of TSA when carrying fishing tackle.

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Check out this itinerary. This should satisfy both the fisherman and wives. Seems to be a good deal:

4/18/06 4 people arrive in San Jose, Costa Rica (please confirm the airline, departure city, flight # and exact arrival time). Pick up at the airport. Transfer 20 minuties to Hotel Bougainvillea. Check in to 2 Double rooms. Hotel Bougainvillea has 10 acres of exotic tropical gardens to explore and enjoy.

4/19/06 Check out of Hotel Bougainvillea. Pick up a Nissan Pathfinder automatic transmission 4x4 rental at the hotel at 9:00 AM. Drive 4 hours to Arenal Volcano. Check in to Hotel Arenal Paraiso, 2 Double Superior rooms (includes breakfasts). In the evening, sit in warm waters surrounded by lush, exotic gardens enjoying a tropical drink as you watch the lava show of Arenal Volcano.

4/20/06 Leave your hotel at 7:20 AM. Drive 40 minutes to Arenal Observatory Lodge for the Morning Guided Rainforest hike to the New Lava Flow for 4 at 8:20 AM (includes tour & guide. Does not include $7/person National Park entrance fee payable upon arrival). Optional activities in the afternoon.

4/21/06 Zip through the treetops in safety harnesses on the Canopy Tour at Hotel Arenal Paraiso for 4 at 7:45 AM (includes tour, guide & all equipment). Enjoy the Canopy Tour, then check out of Hotel Arenal Paraiso at 11:00 AM. Drive 2.5 hours to the Central Pacific Coast. Check in to Hotel Punta Leona, One 2-bedroom Leona Mar Senior Suite. Hotel Punta Leona has the top-rated beach in Costa Rica in a 750-acre private biological reserve. The condo has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a full kitchen, living room and patio. This is a 3-star beach hotel.
www.hotelpuntaleona.com

4/22/06 Leave your condo at 6:15 AM. Drive 30 minutes to the Los Sueños Marina for a full-day Sportfishing Charter on our 44-ft Striker yacht "Resourceful" for 4 at 7:00 AM (includes light breakfast, lunch, bait, tackle, refreshments & all gear. Does not include a tip for the crew. Also does not include transportation, but you can drive to and from the Marina).

4/23/06 Leave your condo at 6:15 AM. Drive 30 minutes to the Los Sueños Marina for a full-day Inshore Fishing Charter on the 32-ft Custom yacht "Hoo's Up" for 4 at 7:00 AM (includes light breakfast, lunch, bait, tackle, refreshments & all gear. Does not include a tip for the crew. Also does not include transportation, but you can drive to and from the Marina).

4/24/06 Optional activities (Surfing, Sportfishing, Jungle River Cruise, Surfing, Catamaran Cruise to Tortuga Island, rainforest hiking, horse back riding, Aerial Tram Tour in the morning, day drive to Manuel Antonio National Park (2.5 hours drive each way), golfing, canopy tour at Mahogany Park, surfing, sea kayaking, boogie boarding, swimming or sunning on the beach, Sunset Cruise (minimum of 6 people), etc.

4/25/06 Leave your condo at 6:15 AM. Drive 30 minutes to the Los Sueños Marina for a full-day Sportfishing Charter on our 44-ft Striker yacht "Resourceful" for 4 at 7:00 AM (includes light breakfast, lunch, bait, tackle, refreshments & all gear. Does not include a tip for the crew. Also does not include transportation, but you can drive to and from the Marina).

4/26/06 Check out of Hotel Punta Leona at 8:00 AM. Drive 3.5 hours to La Paz Waterfall Gardens (includes entrances to La Paz Waterfall Gardens and lunch buffet for 4). La Paz Waterfall Gardens has 5 breathtaking waterfalls set within primary rainforest. It also has the world's largest butterfly pavilion, an orchid and hummingbird garden. Enjoy the gardens, then drive 90 minutes to San Jose. Check into Hotel Bougainvillea, 2 Double rooms. Hotel Bougainvillea has 10 acres of exotic tropical gardens to explore and enjoy. Return the rental car at your hotel at 6:30 PM.

4/27/06 Check out of Hotel Bougainvillea. Transfer 20 minutes to the airport. Depart Costa Rica (please confirm the airline, flight # and exact departure time).

The price for this package is $1,789/person, including:

Round-trip airport transfers for 4 as listed;

9 Hotel Nights as listed;
8-day Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 rental (including taxes, insurance & unlimited mileage);
Guided Rainforest hike to the New Lava Flow for 4 as listed;
Canopy Tour for 4 as listed;
2 full-day Sportfishing Charters for 4 as listed;
1 full-day Inshore Fishing Charter for 4 as listed;
1 day of entrances to La Paz Waterfall Gardens per person;
5 breakfasts/person;
4 lunches/person;
All applicable taxes, except Costa Rica Departure Tax.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I booked the Costa Rica trip for late April. I'll advise how it went.