Find
Notify
Tools

Cairns Wahoo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Minor Nomad
posted
We caught this very nice 30kg Wahoo whilst fishing on our boat Catalyst for Black Marlin near Linden Bank on the outer section of the Great Barrier Reef 35NM from Cairns.

I know that in other locations they get much bigger, but it’s the largest Wahoo that I have personally seen and a big unit for Australian waters. It left a huge smile on the Skipper (me) and Anglers faces and broke up a very quiet morning chasing the big girls.

Angler (Rick) and his very nice Wahoo

It was caught on a 37kg stand up rod and gave a good fight even though we were fishing heavy tackle. The Wahoo savaged the short corner lure and took a 100m run on strike. Very Exciting stuff.

Deckhand (Travis) holds up the large fish for all to see.

Posts: 49 | Location: Cairns QLD Australia | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff. Congratulations.

I want a big wahoo.

I had them tear up my jigging stuff in Lakshadweep last December.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Did you have a beer at the Cock & Bull Tavern? Do you know Graham Johnston?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool.....love wahoo. Not one thing wrong with that size.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Minor Nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Did you have a beer at the Cock & Bull Tavern? Do you know Graham Johnston?

You have got to love the Cock and Bull in Cairns. Its great for a beer and a pub meal. The life size game fish decorating the walls are amazing.

I live on the North Side of town and don't get into Cairns CBD all that much.

I am sorry but I don't know Graham.

Posts: 49 | Location: Cairns QLD Australia | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Graham is the owner of the Cock n Bull and also a fishing boat captain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote