Find
Notify
Tools

Galveston garveys?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I just stumbled across this clip. This broad-nosed garvey is a new one on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFS8YhpqEWU

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have travelled hundreds of miles with a boat like that on the MacKenzie, Liard and Nahanni Rivers. I now have an 90/60 outboard jet on a 18 ft" Honkey Dory". Took a Pacific Dory plan and made a wide front bow with a drop down ramp (gang plank) so us old folks can get on the river bank easily. I also gave the flat bottom about 5 deg. deadrise to keep th air out of the pump. Fun boat but a terrible "water slapper".
I have to add two floatation/trim boxes to the transom. Motor is a bit too heavy for the 5ft bottom.

Other wise it is a nifty small river hunting boat. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Brian, don't be shy about putting up a photo of your modified dory.
I am getting ready to build another simple boat -- Walt Barron's Lumber Yard Skiff. I have been searching boat plans and that's how I stumbled on the Galveston garvey.

http://www.oldwharf.com/lumbar-yard-skiff/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, Lumberyard skiff is a nice little skiff.
I will work on the photo of my boat. Brian

PS I edited my mistakes out of my previous post. ( By now you must think that I aam a real genius!) B

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Bill, I see that posting a picture is way above my pay grade. If you want, send me a PM with your email address and I can send you pictures.
However, it is just a Glen-L plan for their 16-18 ft. dory with the first two feet taken off and replaced with a loading ramp. I also put a little wind dodger cabin on the bow. Brian