THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FISHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Nature, Animals, Space And The Sea  Hop To Forums  Fishing    Best way to remove monofilament line from a reel?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to remove monofilament line from a reel?
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
Hi all,

I've volunteered to replace the mono line on about a dozen reels used for kids fishing. Most of the reels are spinning, couple spin cast.

My usual method of just stripping the line off will be pretty time consuming, so I am thinking about faster ways to get the old line off. Any suggestions? I think I'll try a soldering gun first, I am worried that an exacto knife or razor blade might nick the spool, but heat might work.

Anyway, any hints are appreciated!

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bolt through an empty line spool with a couple of oversize washers& a nut held in a portable drill does the trick in no time

Empty spools are pretty easy to come by within a group..........if not fishing line spools other spools like those used for thin rope, venetian blind cord etc etc do the same job.

I use a couple of 3/8" ID shock absorber rubbers between spool & the metal washers for max friction............, but for a one off line changing session spool straight to metal washers should do the job.

I keep a bunch of old line spools around for topshotting reels.
eg
most spools on light to medium duty reels hold more than a standard 125-150M spool of braid.
- with a new reel fill I load the reel spool
with my topshot on the bottom & backing ontop to get the perfect reel fill height & then run everything off onto spools & reverse the loading to put the topshot on the top with a perfect fill every time.

braid doesnt like freezing weather so when encountering those conditions I run the braid topshot off onto a spool & lable it .......then fill with a mono topshot. When summer comes around the mono goes onto a labled spool & the braid topshot goes back on.

Spare spools of topshot labled for reel model & line BS etc are stacked in a plastic box.

melted mono will stick to the spool, heating is not such a great idea.Sharp knives & spool damage is not a great idea either as you indicate.

FWIW

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote