The Accurate Reloading Forums
Fishing in Alaska

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7221043/m/8811032362

09 December 2020, 18:32
Jason P
Fishing in Alaska
I posted a request for information on Alaska Fishing in the "Alaska" forum due to the fact that it might receive more traffic than this forum.

With that said, can anyone offer recommendations for lake. ocean, and river fishing in Alaska? I would really like it to be a combo of different areas if possible (not exclusive to just river fishing).

Thanks
29 March 2021, 22:33
SkiBumplus3
Wondering the same..... crickets.

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT
30 March 2021, 00:06
Alaskan Sourdough
quote:
can anyone offer recommendations for lake. ocean, and river fishing in Alaska?

Try This...... https://forums.outdoorsdirecto...laska-fishing-forums

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
31 March 2021, 01:37
Jason P
Thank you Sir.

It's quite pathetic in that I am soon turning 50 and have never been to Alaska!

That will soon change!
31 March 2021, 02:08
Alaskan Sourdough
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Thank you Sir.

That will soon change!

Yikes.......that reminded me that before you were born I was proving up on my Federal Homestead in the "Clearwater Country" upper Susitna River area.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
01 April 2021, 09:29
Jason P
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskan Sourdough:
quote:
Thank you Sir.

That will soon change!

Yikes.......that reminded me that before you were born I was proving up on my Federal Homestead in the "Clearwater Country" upper Susitna River area.

tu2
02 April 2021, 10:05
Use Enough Gun
quote:

Thanks for the link!
17 April 2021, 18:02
Northman56751
My wife and I were there in 2017 (see link below) and had a blast!! I just booked another trip for us at the end of August with the same place. Doing a couple of day trips only this time and then a week of sightseeing. Booked a Seward combo for one day and Rainbows on the Kenai the next. Bringing the kids with on this trip, so hoping for good weather/lots of action!

https://texashuntingforum.com/...for-2019#Post8158137

I have a few different operators in Alaska we work with, just depends on what area of Alaska you want to fish and budget. Feel free to give me a call....

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
E-mail: brett@hosted-hunts.com
Cell: 218-452-0774
Life Member NRA
01 June 2021, 20:33
bwanamrm
I highly recommend Dove Island Lodge in Sitka. Not inexpensive but if you're gonna go, go big.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.
04 June 2021, 04:10
Outdoor Writer
quote:
With that said, can anyone offer recommendations for lake. ocean, and river fishing in Alaska?

Jason,

It's been about 25 years since I last fished there, so I really don't have anyone to recommend as an outfitter or lodge.

That said, the variety of fishing availble is mind-boggling. You can do ocean out of a boat for halibut, salmon and other saltwater critters or you can move to the rivers & lakes for trout, northern pike, grayling and even the salmon when they're running up the rivers.

The most fun I had was a week I spent at a fly-in lodge on the Hotlitna River. We caught a couple species of salmon, and one day we went to a place to catch sheefish -- the tarpon of the north -- which was the topic of the article I was doing for Outdoor Life. Best of all, another day we poled our way thru a 7' wide shallow channel into a tiny back slough filled with reeds. The open water was about 40 yds. across; we never moved the boat once we anchored. We got there at 7 a.m & didn't quit fishing until 10 pm. Over that time, we boated 102 northern pike over 8 lbs. Most were 10 to 15 pounds, and the largest was 23 lb. It is on my trophy room wall.

Here's a not-so-good scan of a 35mm slide of that one.

On the wall....

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"
05 June 2021, 10:54
Jason P
Wry nice!!