New
Find
Notify
Tools

Think I'll try Roosterfish on a Fly
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am leaving for Mexico in a few days, plan to do some Rooster fishing, maybe offshore one day. But anyway, I done a lot of fishing...............but just getting started with saltwater fly fishing. I caught quite a few Roosters with std tackle, but never on a fly.

Any body done any rooster fishing with fly tackle, wondering what size flies, I would the 4/0 or so. Looking for pointers.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
May be able to help, if you are going to Cabo. Flyfishing for PezGallo is easiest if you have someone teasing them in with live bait. Need more info before I can be more specific.

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No roosterfish, but a couple of Sails and a Blue Marlin on reg tackle.

I need to get a better grip on the offshore flyfishing, I got beat up by a bonito.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't realize you would be leaving IMMEDIATELY. Since you are already back, where did you go?

If you ever go to Cabo San Lucas, you need to hook up with Grant Hartman with Baja Anglers (on the West side of the marina). He specializes in Fly fisherman and runs a couple of 23' (IIRC) cats. He and his customers hold many, if not most/all of the rooster, sierra, J. crevalle fly records. No, I have never fished with him nor gain anything from this recommendation. I have talked with him many times, and he knows his shit! He has everything you could need, including rental tackle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to Ixtapa, second time I've been there. Also first Blue Marlin, been draging bait for Marlin all over the world, got one to stick this time.

I havent been to Cabo in several yrs, can't remember who I fished with, caught big Roosters in Cabo before, strip Marlin also.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I was to Ixtapa 3 times - mostly for Sails and Inshore species. Had a blue of about 600# just miss getting buttoned on my 30# rig once. Boy that would have been a looooooong day as we were only a couple of miles out and I was stowing gear after a day of fishing for sails. I just caught a glimpse of her, but the Captn was really excited!

You might also try contacting Gary Graham of Baja on the Fly for more specific flyfishing/fly info. I don't know if he fishes out of Ixtapa or not, but is pretty active on the Baja peninsula (East Cape/Mag Bay).