New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Why I don't care for gar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bud, Dan keeps messing up his mower blades by trying to run over cats and not paying attention to where he is going! OK scout, the ball is in your court!! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
If you think gar are bad news, check out muskelunges - think "freshwater barricuda". The record is something like 70lbs! Typical gear looks like downsized tuna poles. There are actually rod blanks available specifically for muskelunge fishing. Luckily for me, PA dept of fish and game started stocking Tiger muskys in the deleware river sometime in the 80's - a 90 minute drive away

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TM, I would be last to disparage the legendary Muskie, unless of course it was an Ed Muskie... but some varieties get a LOT bigger than 70#. Like maybe closer to 200# & 7' than 150#. I don't know the records at the moment... All that said, the Muskie will give one helluva better fight than a gar, regardless of size. Garfish run just a bit faster than a sloth, so catching a big one is really not much of a test. Gators will eat them however and that is a good thing.

As to the grass, it's actually St. Augustine, and what derf said is true. I spend my money on culling cats, not cutting grass. In good time there will be no grass allowed in my yard, only rock gardens, water falls and strategically placed backstops that will retain bullets beyond the bait pile.

Isn't it groovy having a forum all to yourself?!

Dan

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote