THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FISHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Nature, Animals, Space And The Sea  Hop To Forums  Fishing    Light tackle Sailfish fun in Rompin Malaysia

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light tackle Sailfish fun in Rompin Malaysia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted
When I was told pack your bags.

We want you to go to Singapore to work with the Contractor for 28 days I just smiled and asked when do I fly...

But the visions of Rompin Sailfish is already flashing in my mind and a quick scan showed the rainy season has not kicked off.

It did not take long to setup the trip on the 1st weekend of November.

Picked up at the hotel around 4:30 for a 3 hour trip up the east coast of Malaysia ...

These were the road signs found

Would have been an awesome sighting but have a look how thick the vegitation is in the back ground.

In Rompin we stopped quickly for a bite to eat at the best eating spot in town for a Pau (chinese meat dumpling) filled with pork belly and coffee...

The food and service are amazing and the know how to look after a bunch of hungry anglers returning after a day chasing sails...

These have left some markings at the counter...

The goldfish also like to have its back scratched every now and then...

At the rooms we quickly unpacked got the rods ready and walked to the jetty where Sammy our skipper was ready to go.

The sea was glassy conditions and it did not take long to find bait shoals.

While the guys were working sabiki jigs for bait I could not resist casting a stickbait in the mix for a possible hungry Mack but they did not come out to play...

We had enough live bait to start looking for hungry Sails.

We moved out another few nautical miles and found the birds working.

I put my 1st rod out with a live bait and had it just in the water when the skipper said he saw a sail on the start board.

I grabbed the Black Hole Magic Eyes (ME) 804 with a Starwalker 160F and rush to the front of the boat to cast.

Started working the stick bait and saw the fish follow and the next moment its fish on!!!

A juvy Sailfish comes busting out of the water and gave me a brilliant aerial display.

30 seconds later the rod with the live bait as well.

The ME 804 subdue the sail quickly and after a quick photo went back to grow a bit bigger ...

I ran to the back and picked up the live bait rod and the circle hook did a brilliant job pinning the anoter juvy sail.

another quick photo and back she goes

WOW

2 sails in the 1st 5 min after we stopped.

I decided that with the size I decided I have to get one on the ME 735S (PE 2 setup)

Started casting with a Maria Loaded Floating and got hit but did not pin the sail.

We were entertained by a few free jumping sailfish expending.

We followed the birds and I rigged the 735 with a live bait.

I moved to the front with the 804 starting casting a stickbait.

I had a fish follow the stickbait all lighted up.

He turned away and shortly there after the live bait was picked up on the ME 735
The ME started bending and the fight was on...

after a good 5 minute fight she was landed for a quick photo before going back again to grow a bit bigger.

We moved to find the birds again but also started taking notice of a thunder storm building over land.

We had another pick up on live bait and after a good fight the fish came to the boat and I saw it was foul hooked and got a long line release at the boat.

I then wanted to test the PE 2 over head jigging setup and put out a live bait.

I got the pick up but on setting the hook the fish jumped but did not staid pinned.

By now the fish slowed down a lot and we decided to head back to the jetty.

A quick shower and head off to go and have a good dinner of fried rice, thai chicken and slipper prawns.

Unfortunately the rain was heavy in land and pushed out a lot of dirty water out into the sea.

We could not find bait on Sunday and we ranged out to 30 nautical miles offshore.

We saw three free jumping sails for the day and that was the only sailfish activity we found.

I caught a pink bream on the light OH jigging setup to be the only fish for me on Sunday.

We had tons of bonito boiling all over but they refuse to take any of the lures we presented.

They only wanted the small anchovies as big as your thumb nail.

We had temperatures on both days around 36-37C with 80-85% humidity but I had an amazing amount of fun.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote