Find
Notify
Tools

Fishing in Baghdad
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of montycalhoun
posted
The fishing has slowed a little as the weather has cooled a bit, from 130 degrees to the high 70s and low 80s.

Still catching Asp but nothing else.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety (1759)

Posts: 110 | Location: Baghdad Iraq, Caldwell Idaho | Registered: 15 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Glad you are able to do some fishing - stay safe!
I knew not what the Asp was so did a bit of research - this would not be you by chance?

And they grow quite large:

To me, they look somewhat like the salt water speckled trout:

The scientific name is Aspius vorax
And I shamelessly borrowed all this from http://www.thejump.net/id/asp.htm - hope they don't mind!

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of montycalhoun
posted Hide Post
Nope not me. The smaller fich is the Asp the large one is a Mangar (I think that is correct). Related to carp and minnows, grows to several feet and can weigh a bunch. I have seen several Mangar but havent been able to get one to bite. I had a 1/8th oz jig on with a brown curley tail, I had a Mangar following it but it wouldnt bite, even after several casts. Probably worked out, I have 10#test line. Would have been fun.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety (1759)

Posts: 110 | Location: Baghdad Iraq, Caldwell Idaho | Registered: 15 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of montycalhoun
posted Hide Post
Found another picture.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montycalhoun:
The fishing has slowed a little as the weather has cooled a bit, from 130 degrees to the high 70s and low 80s.

Still catching Asp but nothing else.

How are you guys fixed for fishing gear?
If you don't have easy spot to get stuff like hooks,jigs , line etc., I would be happy to send you a fishing care package. Just post up a list and address.
It's not much considering all you guys do, but it may help some guys enjoy their free time a bit.
Take care, AO

Posts: 28 | Location: Central Point OR. USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote