Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Catfishing
 Login/Join

posted
Hey I will tell ya this much about catfishing. I love me some catfish. Some people don't like catfish because they think they are a nasy fish. but dat is just another lie. Ain't nuffin nasy about the catfish man. He is a clean fish. He cleans up all the doodoo of the user fish, so he is a clean fish man. He don't like no dirty crib.
And when you go to clean him, man do him jusice. I mean Don't cut off hid dang head. Man that is dising him. Cook head and all man. Crunch on that head as desert. We used to do tat all the time. We would put a little sugar up on his head and bake him in the oven. It was good, and yall is missing out on some good eating. Oh yeah another thing people do wrong is filleet the fish. that kills the flavor. The bone is where the flavor is. Now, that is some good eating. And you did him some jusice too.
for bait, the best thing is a small fish you caught earlier. Don't put this one in the grinder with the rest of the small fish. Jus cut his head off(diss him), and then use him as cutbait for the great old cat. It's all good

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I'm gonna cry.. is this what it's come too? [Frown]

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I knew I would find a catfish thread. lol Here are some pics that I have.

enjoy

Posts: 10 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Yum - that inspires me to bait up the trot line this weekend.

What did you catch those with?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Those in the cooler are the perfect eatin size if ya ask me . . .

Well even if ya didn't, they are the perfect eatin size

To heck with catch and release,
those are
Catch and grease!!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post

...and some funny pics...

Deadliest Catch

Jurassic Park

Tiananmen Square Tank standoff

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Inspired by those posting above - my friend Jan and I baited up the old trot line yesterday

Obviously we did not meet the high standards of those above this post and did not stop any tanks but we did catch enough to make it worthwhile to grease the skillet.

We went up the Brushy Creek arm of Table Rock Lake to our favorite flathead area.

Here is my boat set up. Weights made from Folgers coffee cans - black floats made from pipe insulation - Trot lines in our custom wooden box.

On the boxes note the notches for the hooks on one edge. This keeps the line from tangling up and it is easy to set out and pick up the line by just uncoiling it as you stretch out the line. Jan and I usually tie one end to a tree on the bank and drop a weight to the bottom on the other end. The weight has a retreival line attached to a float. We look for a mud bank where the shoreline is curved so we can set the line parallel to the shore.

Our typical bait is small live perch or less frequently night crawlers. The night crawlers work fine but we find that often one flathead can strip several hooks before he gets snagged.

Once we have one in the boat a snappy bonk with a hickory club calms them down so we can toss them in the bucket of water.

Here is Jan with our measly haul for this morning. Jan has the club ready in case they need more persuasion to remain calm. At least we did not get skunked.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Good job!

I went out this morning and got one blue cat on the jug, one channel cat on stink bait, and one channel on chicken liver

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Caught last month at the kids-fishing lake on Ft. Chaffee, next to Ft. Smith, AR

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
Hey Steve, earlier this summer a buddy of mine caught a whole mess of nice ones at engineer lake... on chicken pieces from a chicken fajita MRE!

As far as my catfishing went this year, I only managed to catch two and they weren't any longer than 6 inches. Did pretty well on bass though.

Oh yeah, Steve, if you do much bass fishin, you should check out custom lure in fayetteville, near mountain man pawn. I buy all my plastics there. Huge selection and really cheap.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote